Used bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabanist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it a good idea to purchase a used bc from the dive shop i certified with? I heard they sometimes change out the old equipment and thought i might get a deal. What say u

Best to make sure that the BC you buy really meets your needs, new or used.

Most everyone here has replaced their first BC. Best way to save money on scuba gear is to buy your second set of gear first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing at all wrong with used gear, esp BCs. If it is in reasonable condition, holds air and you can get it for a good price, go for it. You can always sell it later for most of what you have in it. The real key here is getting it at a deal- half price or better.

Best to make sure that the BC you buy really meets your needs, new or used.

Most everyone here has replaced their first BC. Best way to save money on scuba gear is to buy your second set of gear first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes so true- I waste good money on my first BCD, because I listen to dive shop people!

Now I own a ss Back plate and 30lb donut wing, Because of the lower profile I don't have to work so hard in a head on current to get back to the boat and just easier to have good trim with less weight. My cog is more centralized so I can maneuver with less effort required.

Balky useless pockets on jacket type BCD are a PITA.

I clip my SMB and reel off on a D ring, my knife is on the sternum strap. If I take a camera or torch it is held almost constantly and on a lanyard line.
Less is definitely more underwater.
I use to use 18lb of lead to get down with a bcd- now I use 6lb with the same wetsuit....imagine how much less effort that is to paddle around with, now I use lots less air and don't feel tired after 3 dives.

They last longer and have more brands and parts that are interchangeable, so if something goes wrong on holidays you have more options to use as a solution.

Please don't suffer the marketing circus that is the dive industry! Listen to those that have come before you and aren't in on selling you something that you won't want after a little while!(you want to buy a slightly used BCD??? I got for you cheap!)
Get a second hand ss backplate, weights and harness and buy a New 30lb donut wing(40lb if you need a dry suit). buy 100hp tanks!!!!!
Have fun and safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom