Do you REALLY know how to scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently my very young son and I were at the local pool. He knows no fear and jumps into deep water with style. Unfortunately he can't swim. What is more, he is incensed when I fish him out of the water. "Let GO of me! I CAN SWIM!" he insists. He is as adamant that he CAN swim as I am that he can't. By way of demonstration he pushes away from me and wiggles/kicks, making surprising headway while holding his breath, until I fish him out (again). To him, being able to swim means making some headway underwater, possibly while holding one's breath. To me, swimming necessarily also includes the ability to breathe. Therein lies our disagreement - we have different definitions of what it means to be able to swim.

This got me thinking about many things, not the least of which was scuba. I remember thinking I CAN scuba dive (three years ago) - to me scuba diving meant buoyancy control and safe ascents and descents. Now, with more training and practice it means so much more.

I don't believe that you have to be an Olympic-class swimmer to be able to swim, nor do I think that you need to be an elite tech diver to be able to dive.

To your understanding, what is the ability to scuba? Buoyancy control? Trim? The ability to trouble-shoot? Being able to rescue someone? CAN you scuba dive?

Like most divers, I felt comfortable around 50 dives and thought I had it down. At 200 dives I realized how little I knew at 50 dives. At 1,000 dives I knew there was still so much more to learn. Right now I feel as comfortable under water as I do anywhere, but my opinion may change in a few thousand more dives.
I took up photography a few years ago, and with each new camera I felt uncomfortable for awhile. I recently bought my first DSLR and now I feel like a newby. I spend half my dive cursing at myself for getting lousy shots.

I think there are so many different styles and reasons for diving which dictate style and equipment choices that there is no one way of diving that is right.
Some may disagree.

Basically, being comfortable in the water, being able to handle any situation within your training with comfort and ease,
knowing your limits, self rescue, rescue of buddy in a safe and proffessional manner, knowing your equipment, and good buoyancy skills.

I'd say almost everyone who completes an open water course really knows how to scuba dive. Everything after that is refining their skills

No ... I dunno how to dive. That's why I dive so much. I'm still trying to figure it out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To be able to "Scuba" would be able to Decend and ascend safely with breathing from a tank. Many people can Scuba, butto be able to effectively dive would be : good bouyancy and trim, Good air consumption, Safe navigation, ability to account for current, and be responsible for what occurs around you.

I swear I thought this was gonna be a DIR thread.
I should probably warn you that Crush, the OP, is newly fundified, so it may take on that...how can I put it delicately...enthusiastic tone.

:D

i swear i thought this was gonna be a dir thread.

lmao :)

I should probably warn you that Crush, the OP, is newly fundified, so it may take on that...how can I put it delicately...enthusiastic tone.

:D

Bite me! :)

For the record, my DIR/GUE OW configuration has been bastardized by my replacing my SPG with my AI computer (yes, I use two computers).

Back
Top Bottom