Mares Weight Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I thought I heard at one point that Mares had/has some trouble with its MRS Plus weight system...
I am considering buying the Mares ICON BCD and wanted to see about what I see as the only possible weak spot. Any reviews / advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Also, the Mares ICON BCD is still made right? What I mean is that its not a discontinued product correct?

Just to be sure! Thanks so much, this really helps:D

My daughter uses a Mares Ariel and loves it. One of the pockets does stick a little, but since I am aware it is not a problem. Not sure if this is the same system though....

If it's discontinued you'll know about it. The pocket system are great however some getting use to them is required.

Practice in shallow water to take them out and place them back in etc. Do not use lead or hard weights. Use only soft (beads) weights. It feels a lot better than a weight belt.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!!

My daughter has the Kaila and has no problem with the weight system. However if we're on a boat and she runs two 5lbs they can be a bit to stick into the pockets...Not a big deal though. Again, if you can, use soft weights. Excellent BCDs.

Im using a mares ex200. Probably old news but I found loading the weights with the bc laying down makes it pretty easy to load the weights. I'm using solid 1kg weights up to 8kg's

I bought some mares prestige bcds for use on our boat and we had pretty much constant troubles with the weight pouches falling out when they had more than 6 pounds or so in them. Nice bcds otherwise. I haven't seen others have problems with them, but I really haven't been around enough to know for sure.

We use the MRS Plus weight pockets on our BCDs at the aquarium where I dive and I've had the pockets fall out 4 times in the course of about 150 dives.

I use the older MRS system on my personal BCD and never had one fall out in almost 300 dives.

Wow...On my daughters BCD I have to really jerk/tug to get them to release. NO WAY could I get them to drop themselves without shaking the bcd violently (without her in it of course! :rofl3:)

My weight pockets fell out 4 times after very lightly snagging the handles on wreck surfaces or line. I was sent new weight pockets by Mares which were much stiffer on the release. They got easier to release with use however, and I went back to a belt for security. Fortunately every time I lost a pocket I was over a hard bottom , had something to grab on to, and was able to recover it (with help since each time it was relatively shallow and I couldn't descend until handed something heavy by a buddy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom