What rig would be better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^Diver Derek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little too short for the current doubles rig.(GD manifold hits me in the back of the head) Most diving done in cold water with a drysuit. Can get my hands on al80's extremely easily, but I'm wondering if the Armadillo sidemount rig would support that configuration?? From what i've heard its only got about 30pounds of lift.. don't think that will cut it.( considering when i dive my lp95's my nearly 60lb lift wing has a great deal of air in it the whole dive) What to do?! :idk:

A little too short for the current doubles rig.(GD manifold hits me in the back of the head) Most diving done in cold water with a drysuit. Can get my hands on al80's extremely easily, but I'm wondering if the Armadillo sidemount rig would support that configuration?? From what i've heard its only got about 30pounds of lift.. don't think that will cut it.( considering when i dive my lp95's my nearly 60lb lift wing has a great deal of air in it the whole dive) What to do?! :idk:
LP95's shouldn't need 60lbs of lift unless you're carrying several stages or the wing doesn't provide the lift stated.

Hmmm I would think that if you have a 60lb wing with a lot of air in it even at the end of a dive while wearing a drysuite there may be too much weight involved.

How much lead do you wear?

I have never dove the armadillo but I would think that 30lb wing and a drysuit would be enough to run LP95's plus gear...

Lp95 can hold roughly 8 lb of nitrox. So given you can ditch all but one tank you still have 22 lb of lift left for the DS failure. Depending on your undies some of your weight must be ditchable. Doubles inherently have less ditchable weight in form of another tank bands and manifold so they need a bigger wing to accoint for that.

I have never dove the armadillo but I would think that 30lb wing and a drysuit would be enough to run LP95's plus gear...

in my drysuit, i use 23lbs of lead with my hp100s, so i would assume i would need about the same with lp95s, maybe a couple pounds less. if my drysuit inflator should fail, i would think that a 30lb wing would be insufficient to keep me easily afloat at the surface...

I've dived with Curt Bowen in a cold water environment when he was using a pair of my HP119's with the Armadillo. Now, I'm not Curt Bowen and am not at all sure I could do that ... but he didn't seem to have any difficulties doing it.

For my diving, I opted for the Nomad XT ... in part because it comes with a larger wing. My predominant diving conditions involve a lot of shore diving and surface swimming, and I wanted adequate lift to support larger cylinders ... including sometimes stages and/or deco bottles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When you sidemount is it mainly using steel tanks or aluminum?
(With the xt )

When you sidemount is it mainly using steel tanks or aluminum?
(With the xt )
I've used LP95's and HP100's ... steel cylinders. I prefer the HP100's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom