Getting C-Cards Without Testing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeaMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We recenly discovered that another couple at our church sometimes scuba dives. My wife once asked the lady about their training and she said that her brother (maybe brother-in-law) was an instructor and showed them how to do it when they were in hawaii. But they didn't take any tests. So I figured that they were on vacation and that her brother probably lives there and showed them the basics and took them diving with him. A couple of weeks ago, this couple heard us mention being in Key Largo over the July 4th weekend, and the man starts asking me if we dove the Speigel Grove and mentioned some other sites that they had dove down there. The Speigel Grove sits on 133 ft at the bottom, so its an advanced-level dive. I only had a moment to speak with him so I didn't get to ask detailed questions, but it sounds like they must have gotten advanced c-cards.

Any of you hear of this happening? Are there people out there getting c-cards without taking written exams just because they know an instructor?

no test required for padi aow

... the AOW written exams I've seen (NAUI, PADI, YMCA) are so lame it wouldn't qualify you to dive the Spiegal Grove in any case ... but no ... if the agency standards specify an exam you shouldn't be receiving a c-card until you've taken one ... and passed it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

no test required for padi aow
Since when? Back in 2003, when I was working with a PADI instructor, there was an exam ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that the AOW written exam is mostly common-sense questions, but it sounds like these guys went from non-divers to AOW without any exams. I plan to quiz one of them for more details next time I see them.

I have an OW card and on my 15th dive went to 100' on the Speigel Grove with an instructor.
I questioned this with others and was told that I could do the dive with Instructor as buddy and it would count for one of my check off dives for AOW.

It all comes down to the ethics of the issuing individual. Regrettably there are numerous things in our lives that can happen this way..... always have, and likely always will. Makes for an interesting litigation if an individual gets injured..:popcorn:
No, I'm not an attorney (but I do sleep with one)...... :rofl3:

Reactions: Jax
We recenly discovered that another couple at our church sometimes scuba dives. My wife once asked the lady about their training and she said that her brother (maybe brother-in-law) was an instructor and showed them how to do it when they were in hawaii. But they didn't take any tests. So I figured that they were on vacation and that her brother probably lives there and showed them the basics and took them diving with him. A couple of weeks ago, this couple heard us mention being in Key Largo over the July 4th weekend, and the man starts asking me if we dove the Speigel Grove and mentioned some other sites that they had dove down there. The Speigel Grove sits on 133 ft at the bottom, so its an advanced-level dive. I only had a moment to speak with him so I didn't get to ask detailed questions, but it sounds like they must have gotten advanced c-cards.

Any of you hear of this happening? Are there people out there getting c-cards without taking written exams just because they know an instructor?

So is it possible that at some point they did take an AOW course and get the card for that? I guess without knowing all the facts it's hard to say what really happened. Maybe they did learn the basics from their relative when they were in Hawaii but later actually took courses.

Some people do get cards without a skills and knowledge test, I know this because I've talked with some of them. My students do not get this luxury, though.

All the best, James

So is it possible that at some point they did take an AOW course and get the card for that? I guess without knowing all the facts it's hard to say what really happened. Maybe they did learn the basics from their relative when they were in Hawaii but later actually took courses.

That's possible. You are right, I don't have all the facts, but I plan to find out. I am mainly going by the comment that the lady made about not taking any tests. You're right, maybe she meant for their first dives. I intend to find out the whole story. But it made me wonder if others had heard of people getting c-cards from instructor friends without going through the proper channels. Sounds like they have.

I can understand getting free training from friends. If you have a friend who is an instructor and will train you for free, that's great...I'm envious. But everyone should be tested and required to pass to get a c-card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom