Is it me or is it them??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMFSDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to start out by saying I am a loyal customer at my LDS. If I need something they stock I usually purchase it from them and only use online for things they don't carry.
This past week the LDS had a local dive trip planned and I had my doubles filled with a 32 mix at the shop. Due to the weather the trip was cancelled. I am diving this weekend(private trip) and now need a 28 mix for the dive. I planned on taking out 1250 psi and having them top off the tanks with 21% to get me to my 28 mix.
Now here is my question, what should I be charged for the fill? I know they are going to try to charge me for a double HP nitrox fill ($58). Is this the norm? What would your LDS do?
Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited:
I want to start out by saying I am a loyal customer at my LDS. If I need something they stock I usually purchase it from them and only use online for things they don't carry.
This past week the LDS had a local dive trip planned and I had my doubles filled with a 32 mix at the shop. Due to the weather the trip was cancelled. I am diving this weekend(private trip) and now need a 28 mix for the dive. I planned on taking out 1250 psi and having them top off the tanks with 21% to get me to my 28 mix.
Now here is my question, what should I be charged for the fill? I know they are going to try to charge me for a double HP nitrox fill ($58). Is the norm? What would your LDS do?
Thanks for the feed back.

It looks like you may find out if such loyalty is deserved. But it seems to me that any shop charging $58 for a nitrox fill on doubles has already made it very clear where their interests lie. Reasonable might be a charge for a single tank air fill.

I only know what I would do...If you only wanted air then you would be charged for air fills..you would still have to analyze tanks and log them in.

Ditto. If I understand you, you want to drain out some EAN and get them to fill the tanks with air so as to arrive at your desired mix. $58 for a top-up with air is an insane rip-off (even on doubles).

Are you sure that they understood you? Perhaps if you explain that you want them to top off your tanks with air they will realize that they made a mistake in pricing. On the other hand, if they failed to understand you clearly, I might be worried about their ability to follow instructions and not, say, drain off all of your EAN 32 and give you pure 21%.

$58 for two tanks of Nitrox?! :confused:

Offer them $10 to top off your tanks with air, or leave.

Now here is my question, what should I be charged for the fill? I know they are going to try to charge me for a double HP nitrox fill ($58). Is this the norm?
The LDSs with which I have worked in the past would have charged less than half of that $58 total and been pleased with the profit they had made.

$58 for doubles filled with nitrox?

:dropmouth:

How big are your tanks? I could get a set of double 119's filled with 21/35 trimix for that kind of money.

To answer your question ... my LDS would drain some nitrox out of my tanks, top them with air, and tell me to have a nice dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

$58 for Nitrox in double HP 100's in NY is not out of the ball park. It is them charging for a nitrox fill, even one, on double tanks to give me 1250 psi of 21% that is just rubbing me the wrong way.

$58 for Nitrox in double HP 100's in NY is not out of the ball park. It is them charging for a nitrox fill, even one, on double tanks to give me 1250 psi of 21% that is just rubbing me the wrong way.
Is that what you think or what they are doing? It's a rip off, but then $29/tank for 32% is too.

Is that what you think or what they are doing? It's a rip off, but then $29/tank for 32% is too.
They did it the last time I needed a top off when I only did one short dive because of bad weather. It stings a little more this time since I just need to dump the gas just to get the mix I need for the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom