creative and fun hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neo180251

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have recently started my training for Scuba with my father and brother and we are really enjoying it. We have memorized all the safety underwater hand signals and have used them in our contained dives, but we ran into a problem. My family is made of humor so we sometimes attempt to make jokes or do something silly under the water-like we may pretend there is a shark behind each other when obviously there isn't one in the pool-but we have no way of saying that was funny or showing that we are laughing. Have any of you out there figured out a hand signal that means "I'm Laughing" or "that's funny"? Also if any of you have another creative signal I'd love to hear it!

The signal for something is funny/I'm laughing is a mask half full of water. :)

I'll just remove my reg and give them a big grin ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or, as I saw once when my dive buddy read my rather humorous wetnote, laugh so hard you spit out your reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One husband and wife team I dived with was watching as another group of divers were absolutely out of control. Gear everywhere, no control or communication. A real sad comedy to witness.

The wife turned to her husband, pointed to the group, then clustered all her fingers on her left hand together, put her right hand thumb and forefinger together in a circle, and repeatedly thrust her clustered fingers into the hole. :wink:

THAT was a real creative sign that I have had occasion to borrow. :shakehead:

As for humor, I am with Bob. A grin is better than spitting out your reg laughing, which I ave done.
I also learned in my Fundies attempts that it is possible to scream in frustration through your regs, loud enough for all to hear. :(

I have a special signal for one particular type of fish that I brief as a joke before a dive when we hope to see one:
Pelvic thrust while pulling arms back + hold arms as wide as possible to the sides + hand to head for normal shark signal = f'ing big (whale) shark.
However when (if) the animal appears, I just end up pointing with the index fingers of both hands and screaming "look look look look" through my reg.

There's this old thread that has some funny contributions, too: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/187054-funny-underwater-hand-signals.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom