contacts while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishkiss

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since Ive been diving last, I now have to wear contacts. Can you wear them down, or is it better to get a perscription mask. I wear one contact in one eye to see close, and none in the other eye because I see fine far. My eyes compensate for each other depending what Im doing. If I dont wear it, I wont be able to read guages....sooo perscription mask? Thanks

Your choice.

Getting a prescription mask wouldn't be a bad idea. If you get one, it makes sense to also get a backup. Either you can get a mask custom-made for you or you can purchase an off-the-rack mask that has pop-out lenses which can be ordered in different corrective strengths. The Tusa Splendive II/IV and the Mares X-Vision are a couple of masks that have replaceable lenses for people who wear glasses/contacts. Scubatoys.com even has a video showing how to install the corrective lenses.

I don't own a prescription mask. I've successfully conducted several hundred dives (all of them) while wearing disposable soft contact lenses in both eyes. I have no issues with taking my mask off and/or clearing it underwater. I simply keep my eyes closed during the process. One time I barely opened one eye underwater just to see if the contact lens would float off. It remained in place. :idk:

I always keep some saline solution and a spare set of contact lenses in my save-a-dive kit.

One disadvantage of going the contact lense route is that, if you get some sort of eye irritation/infection during a dive vacation which prevents you from using contact lenses, then that means no more diving for you. Kind of makes you want to get a prescription mask just in case, huh?

The biggest thing is how comfortable are you wearing contacts?

If you have no troubles on land, I doubt you will have any troubles underwater. I used to wear my contacts diving all the time. The only reason I don't now is because visibility is never more then 20 feet and I don't have seeing until 50 or so.
Also chances are if this is the first prescription you have, your eyes will be changing quite a bit in the upcoming years. No point getting a prescription mask until it all evens out.

But that's just my thoughts, do what you think is going to feel the best for you.

LP has inexpensive small stick on plastic lenses by a company called Diveoptx...They stay on the inside of the mask very well even if it gets flooded.......I tried a couple of different powers 'til I found which worked best then got permanent lenses in my masks from a California co. callled Prescriptiondivemasks.com....From what I've read on SB, some people have no problem w/contacts even when their mask gets flooded while others loose them or just close their eyes when clearing their masks....Depending on which mask/manufacturer you wear some have premade prescription lenses that you can buy [at LP] that are less expensive than custom made.......

...I've successfully conducted several hundred dives (all of them) while wearing disposable soft contact lenses in both eyes. I have no issues with taking my mask off and/or clearing it underwater. I simply keep my eyes closed during the process. One time I barely opened one eye underwater just to see if the contact lens would float off. It remained in place. :idk:

I always keep some saline solution and a spare set of contact lenses in my save-a-dive kit.
This is what I do also, The daily disposables are inexpensive, so losing one or two is no big deal. I went this route because I need them to read and see details up close. I didn't want to have to wear a prescription mask or carry my glasses during my SI.

Sounds good!! and makes sense that my eyes will still be changing, to not buy a mask. Does make sense to buy inserts so if I get an infection I will still be able to dive. You guys are great, Thankyou for the info!!

I also wear the mono-vision contacts. I have made hundreds of dives in them and have never lost one. I even demonstrate to students how to remove mask and put it back on. I also volunteer at a local Aquarium were I remove my mask and regulater to pose for pictures. I always leave my eyes open when I remove my mask.

I've used contact lenses since I first started diving and had no problems. I opt for daily disposables, just in case I lost one (which I never have).

Daily disposables are a great solution. I wore my $300 contact lenses diving when soft lenses were first introduced (and when $300 bought a couple of ounces of gold). Now, for about a $1, I can swap my lenses for a brand new pair between dives if I'm inclined to do so for comfort, or to mitigate the small risk of infection. I rarely do, however. I'm usually not even aware of my lenses while diving, or otherwise.

I hesitate to suggest it, for fear of raising Idocsteve from the dead, but this thread is informative:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...enses-diving-questions-welcome-idocsteve.html

Last edited:
Yes you can wear contacts, and yes you should get a prescription mask. My eyesight is terrible and I wear such masks. You can get a totally adequate mask with "pop in lenses" at most dive shops for under $200.00 including the Rx lenses. Or you can order a mask ground to your exact prescription for $250.00 to $500.00.
I have one custom ground mask and the rest "pop ins" and I actually like the pop ins better.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom