how much lift do i need and is it too big of a wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so i'm going to buy the zeagle express tech. I'm going to get it from a website and they only offer it in a 30 lb 35 lb and 44lb bladder i believe. So i figured, at the moment i'm not going to be diving doubles so i dont need a giant bladder but i figured since its no extra cost to choose any of them i'd choose the 44lb. However, this is my first bp/w so i dont know much about them. For the moment i'll be using hp steel 100s. Is it a bad thing to have to much lift, can it cause a problem or does the bladder hang or something? I know some of the stuff i said is stupid but please inform me, i am here to learn. Thank you!

It is bad to have to much lift as the wing will taco. Search for lift calculation, this topic is discussed very often. For a single tank you will likely need no more than 30lb

that calculator kind of confused me. and i dont know how much my regs weigh. but i guess ill go with a 30lb. So that should be good for a hp steel 100 along with 8-14 lbs of weight (depending on suits, 3mm in summer 6mm in winter)?

my lds told me for $20 more i can upgrade from the 24lb bladder that comes with it and get the all elastic bladder. Looked it up and its a 34 lb. Do any of you know if that would be good? Is that one constructed well and is it too much?

I have an ET and bought it with the 24# wing, didn't know I could get a larger wing. The 24 is great in the tropics but not enough lift for steel tanks and 22# of lead. I put the 44# wing from my Ranger on and it works but it does not dive very well. It is very hard to get completely vented, tends to taco, produces more drag is not very stable and is just to big to dive with singles and normal weighting. I can see a 30# to 35# wing in my future and use that as my primary wing.

that calculator kind of confused me. and i dont know how much my regs weigh. but i guess ill go with a 30lb. So that should be good for a hp steel 100 along with 8-14 lbs of weight (depending on suits, 3mm in summer 6mm in winter)?

Don't you have access to a set of scales to weigh the regs? If not, sneak them into your local supermarket and weigh them in the vegetable section. LOL

my lds told me for $20 more i can upgrade from the 24lb bladder that comes with it and get the all elastic bladder. Looked it up and its a 34 lb. Do any of you know if that would be good? Is that one constructed well and is it too much?

24lb is most likely too small. 34lb might be sufficient.

There are drawbacks to elasticated bladders..and debatable safety issues.

Why aren't your LDS being more helpful with your kit selection? I would expect a lot more service from an LDS - they should know how to calculate an appropriate wing size for you and advise you on the best selection. :shakehead:

This is a good example of lazy and/or unprofessional service in the dive retail sector.

Get yourself a DSS wing.... their customer service is perfect and they quite simply won't sell you a BCD system that isn't suitable for your needs.

I just picked up a 2nd-hand, 30-dive old ET with the 24lb wing. I'll only be diving in the tropics as a rec diver, 3mil full suit. I sink in salt water in just a bathing suit alone.

One of the LDS here recommends a 60lb. wing minimum. He is a hard core, 2000-dive, tech diver and dives a OMS rig with lift bag, reel, 2-3 computers, pony bottle and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember and is probably at least 30lbs heaver than me in muscle mass.

He feels that it's better to have the extra lift capacity in case you need to get yourself and another diver out of trouble in an emergency. I'm confused because I'm not seeing how his diving and his equipment relates to the kind of diving I do.

I tried out the Buoyancy Calc, and I'm coming up with around 19-20lbs of lift required. Maybe I'll be fine?

How could you test whether or not you have enough lift?

Are you carrying your weight on a belt or integrated?

If on a belt - and this is entirely my personal opinion - I think you'll be plenty fine with 24 lbs. You should be able to float your rig with a full tank which should be no problem. WITH you in it you need to compensate for gas "to be lost" (7.5ish lbs) + exposure suit compression - which, for a 3mm suit can't be much at all - sure as heck nowhere near 16.5 lbs.

All this of course assumes you are properly weighted. Using a 60lb wing with one tank and a 3mm suit is madness (again my opinion only) and body shape / composition does not impact wing requirements (other than creating the need for more or less square feet of neoprene to cover it)

*edit - Having spent a ton of time deciding which wing I wanted I can tell you if you do a search you'll find that many CA divers use 30 lb wings for steel tanks and 7mm suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom