Cold in Monterey Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mms4

New
Reaction score
Hello,
My family is taking a 10 day trip to California (primarily San Francisco) next week and my dad and I are considering diving in Monterey Bay. The main issue is that I'm a 16 year old girl and I don't have much natural insulation (I'm skin and bones). Therefore, I'm not very tolerant to the cold and am worried about whether I can handle the temperatures at Monterey Bay. We'd be diving in wetsuits, not drysuits, and probably wouldn't go too long or deep (because it's so cold). Do you think it would be safe for me to go? Also, should we shore dive or take a boat? How rough is the water around this time? I've gotten a shoulder injury from the weight of my tank walking to the back of the boat a couple of years ago in Hawaii and don't want to risk that happening again. That combined with me having broken two toes a month ago and them still hurting when under pressure, I can't walk around with a tank on. Is there any way I could strap the tank on in the water? This is what I've done before and it has worked for me, but I understand it's not really possible in rough waters. Finally, any reccomendations on dive outfits there?
Thanks

Monterey weather is is about the same or warmer than San Francisco. Water temp. in
Monterey is 51 to 55 degrees this time of year. Conditions can change daily. You can get big
surges anytime of year but summer is the calmest because lack of storms.

There are a couple of nice dive shops in Monterey. Bamboo Reef Store Locations | Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers Aquarius Dive Shop Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals

Here is the link for Dive Boats in Monterey. Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats

San Carlos Beach (Breakwater) is the safest and easiest shore dive. It is the Coast Guard pier where there is plenty of help if you need it. There is lots to see along the rock wall, kelp beds, and the metridium fields.

You can always hire a Divemaster to accompany you on your dive.

Hope this helps.

I had a sailboat on a Monterey mooring for a few years. Turns out that mooring was the closest mooring to the fireworks barge for 4th of July. Now I had bought well; a Puget Sound sailboat with a kerosene heater and a nice canvas "tent" that encloses the cockpit when not sailing.

Unfortunately, I did not bring the boat in for proper cleaning before the fireworks. Failed to consider the fact that the sea gulls, cormorants, pelicans, otters, harbor seals and sea lions typically feasted, groomed and relieved themselves on any moored vessel.

The heater warmed up all the detritus and it was vile. Had to turn off the heater and sit on the bow; coldest 4th of July I've ever experienced*. The fog bank blowing in off the COLD Ocean was so thick only the lowest rockets were visible. The planes landing at Monterey airport were a better show than the grand finale fireworks. :shakehead:

*I worked a couple summers in Grand Lake, Colorado; ~8,400 feet above sea level. My 4th of July date and I were not cold in my aluminum sailing canoe when the miss fire dropped glowing cinders on us! :D

It's pretty cold. I use a 7mm farmer john, 5mm hood, 5mm gloves & boots, and it's still cold. Couple that with the 15-20 pounds of weight it takes to get all that to sink and even a short walk to the surf sounds like it might be pretty rough on your toes and shoulder.

That said, it's good diving. You might think about diving off of a boat (which I haven't done here yet) but depending on you and dad's experience level you might consider hiring a DM as it's my understanding that the boat diving here is unguided and you are on your own as far as navigation, etc.

Since you're only sixteen, you might consider making another trip later when your skin and bones are fully functional. You've got plenty of time. If you decide that you can hack it, I'm sure you'll have a good time. Whichever way it goes, have fun in the Bay Area.

I have to agree with RikRaeder. I wear a custom 7mm farmer with no-zip pull over jacket and am fine to about 40' where suit compression soon makes me cold, deeper I go dry. Low muscle mass puts you at a greater disadvantage (where most heat is generated). You might try snorkeling/freediving before making a jump in Scuba, both for safety and comfort. There are plenty of great places to snorkel.

In fact, I would make the same recommendation to anyone used to warmer water and wearing rented gear. It gives you an opportunity to sort out most of your gear while being less burdened down and provides a chance to see what the environment is like. Diving kelp forests is a close second to wrecks to me, but takes getting used to.

While the water is cold and the walk down the beach can be quite a handful, I think that a few dives is perfectly reasonable at breakwater. The entry is almost always easy this time of year, and the water is at its "warmest". That being said, I would say be cautious and be emotionally prepared to call the dive once you get to Monterey if anything is bothering you. I wouldn't want you to drive down there and dive "come what may" because you made a trip from the midwest. Enjoy the beauty of Monterey and happy diving.

my daughter is the type to get cold very easy and she can normally get in three 30-40 minutes dives in Monterey Bay before she is done for the day. She is normally wearing a 7mm or 8mm wetsuit. $0 mintes is about her limit, anything a little longer and she starts getting too cold.
So go ahead a plan a dive. Just plan on coming up early if you get too cold. It's no fun if you're miserable. It is a blast, and so cool to swim throught the kelp, and so much life a long the jetty wall. So go enjoy, just be prepared mentally for cold water.

don't know what happened, but......."40" mintes is about her limit. :)

Get there early in the morning or go on a weekday and you can find parking at the breakwater closest to the entry. I have dove there with a little chick friend of mine who is 5'7" and under 100lbs at 15yo. She wears a 7mil Farmer so she has 14 on the core and she wears 3mil socks under her 6.5mm boots and she is usually good for 2 dives of 30 to 45 minutes. If need she has a 3mil hooded vest to wear under all that. Before, after, and between dives go over to the cafe and get some warm soup or some hot chocolate, take a thermose of tea, and warm the core up and you will be good.

OK as for the diving, the breakwater is cool as you have multiple enviroments in a close area. You havew the kelp where if you try really hard you might find 40' depths. If you ask someone will point you to the matridium field,
The Metridium Fields
,on the other side of the kelp. You can swim straight out the breakwater wall and when you get to the 50' range turn right and that will put you into some really cool structure along the wall. Watch out for fishing lines here. I have seen everything from nudies to big sculpin to cod along that area. Look for the anchor that is out there around the 40' depth while swimming out to the wall. There is a Geo-cache attached to it and you can sign your name on the slate. Depending on currents the anchor could be covered.

Entry and exit, as you mentioned if you have a nice dive budy they can carry your gear and let you suit up in the water, condition dependant. Like I said earlier if you ge tthere early enough or on weekdays you can usually park right at the stairhead. Down about 12 steps and a 50 + ft walk across the beach and your in the water.
When you get there sit on the breakwater wall and watch the waves and plan your entrance. This is a good time to decide if you need to skip the days diving. DO Not let the notion that you came so far sway your decision on safety. If its bad skip it and go to the aquarium.
This is the NOAA bouy page for Monterey Bay with the closest bouy to the dive site
NDBC - Station 46240

Also check out the boats as there are some awesome deep sites in Monterey bay. Get a guide if you like as that is often helpful.
Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop - Home

This is a good description of the area
Breakwater

Above all have fun diving with your Dad

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom