Why Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering lately; why does Florida get all the cool artifical reefs? I think we, here in California, got the Yukon but where are OUR aircraft carriers, etc. Is it a matter of water temperature (not so conducive to tourist divers), lack of major dive tourism, suitable depth/locations, environmental stuff, or what? What do you think, what do you know?

Just a theory but if I'm not mistaken the mothball fleet is in Virginia.
When a ship is purchased for an artificial reef program they are towed to their final resting place at a very expensive per nautical mile rate.

To California you would have to tow it through Panama and I don't think that would be very cost friendly.

Personally I think the Navy should retire the ships along both coasts and scuttle it themselves as a training exercise.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the state is very active in the artificial reef program. A large part of the economy is based on tourist and if we didn't have artificial reefs there wouldn't be much to dive/fish in the northern part of the state.

In other words, if you like zero state taxes then you really don't mind spending a little money to sink a few ships to bring people in.

I suspect Cali just doesn't see it as a priority.

Maybe the state itself is not putting up enough $$$ as an incentive to drop the reefs in California. Florida put out alot of money for the reefs they've been awarded.

The reefs aren't only for divers, they are also for the thriving charter fishing market in Florida.

The Oriskany was also chosen to go out of P'Cola since NAS P'Cola is the cradle of Naval Aviation.

Lots of reasons...

RikRaeder et al... here are the basics from my point of view.FL has a state sponsored a/r program to support tourism predominately from fishing, but diving benefits big time. CA has no a/r program, but an organization called California Ships to Reefs is developing CA projects.The Maritime Administration, which owns the ships in the "ghost fleet", only works with states. This makes it harder for states like CA, that don't have state programs. A "non-governmental organization" like CSTR needs to build a partnership with the state so they will request ships on their behalf. (DMDavid... There are three ghost fleet moorings: Beaumont, TX - Suisun Bay, CA - James River, VA so towing through the Panama Canal wouldn't be an issue)You can find out more about what's going on in California at californiashipstoreefs.org

Tourism and Orange juice probably in that order. Just stating the lie "Sunshine State" (Actually it's the Rainy State. Arizona would be better suited for "Sunshine".) shows the extent that this State will go in bringing in tourist dollars. Probably Vegas first, FL second, spend the most money promoting themselves. Would also say it's the shear number of people who participate in the Fishing, Diving, Resort lifestyles and the industries that cater to them with their political influences that gets things done like artificial reef projects. We also have a number of major Universities who have world class Marine Biology Depts. You can just imagine their influence.

P.S Off topic: Think CA problems would be better handled if it were split into two States as some have proposed. Already invaded by Mexico.

Politics and money! California Ships To Reefs California Ships to Reefs, Inc. - Home has been working hard on getting more ships sunk for artificial reefs. One of the hold backs from the State has been a concern over liability. But a law was recently passed that declares SCUBA Diving a "Hazardous Activity"in California, which basically means that the government is not liable for anything that happens to you while diving. Apparently liability was a big reason it was so hard to get approval for sink ships for artificial reefs.

CSTR has been pushing to get the USS Kawishiwi sunk off of Dana Point. This law is a big step forward and the federal Maritime Administration just gave thier approval to reef this ship. The Kawishiwi is 665' fleet oiler, it huge and would make an awesome dive! It's still gonna take some time and a lot of money to make this happen, though!

Not sure but Florida may just have more divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom