Underwater Games/activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chappy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
Just wondering what types of underwater games/activities divers on this board have participated in.

Thanks,
Chappy

I have a giant underwater checker board for classes during the pool sessions. A guy made it for me. Has round lead weights painted black or white for the pieces. It's pretty boring but great for working on bouyancy control.

The underwater hockey gets kind of old real fast too.

I'm up for some new ideas.

huh?

Ya mean there's more than "paper, sicsors, rock" and "Tic-tac-toe" that can be played underwater? *tilt*

Human bumper cars

"Kick your buddy"

"Tank Banger" -- no bangers required

Blind me baby, one more time. (Night-time only)

Race against the current

For Yankees Fans:

Air Limbo: How low can you go?

Rocket Ascent

I can think of lots of games I would like to play underwater...

The only problem is my wife doesn't dive. Possibly I need to trade her in or just find a regular weekend dive "other buddy"

baenglish73 once bubbled...
For Yankees Fans:

Air Limbo: How low can you go?

Rocket Ascent
ROTFLMAO

Rocket Ascent followed by "how far can you jet yourself out of the water" is one of my favorites.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
I have a giant underwater checker board for classes during the pool sessions. A guy made it for me. Has round lead weights painted black or white for the pieces. It's pretty boring but great for working on bouyancy control.

The underwater hockey gets kind of old real fast too.

I'm up for some new ideas.

We have a couple of things that seem to work ok for teaching buoyancy.

One of them is an underwater frisbee "keep away" game. Two teams, one frisbee and the rules that you have to drop it if you touch the bottom or breach the surface. Unfortunately this game only works if the pool isn't too crowded.

Another thing we use is a large rubber sheet (tarp or whatever you want to call it) with a big round hole in it. It hangs from the surface and you can swim through the hole. Students get a kick out of that and it's good for their self confidence.

And one that I borrowed from Netdoc is hovering and moving around with just the hands. That seems to be a winner and by the 4th or 5th pool session you can manage 5 or 10 minutes neutral hovering in what he calls sea-horse races. You dno't even really need to make a game out of it, I find. Most students like hovering so much that they can't get enough of it once they nail the skill. Last night, for example we had a big group and I took a bunch of them for about 20 minutes and did some swimming, repeats of skills and at the end a full 5 min of hovering while they were waiting to do thier scuba unit don/doff. When the instructor was done with the others she turned around to see where the rest of her group was and there they were waiting right behind her like they were sitting in invisible floating chairs. After the fact several the students told me that they got a real kick out of that..... The point being that it doesn't need to be so interesting to us as long as the students get a kick out of it.....

R..

Our club has done a few....

We have had easter egg hunts and scavenger hunts.

The coordinator dives early to hide the objects. Prizes are given to the individuals whom find the objects or the most eggs.

I was also on a web site for a group in Cleaveland once. They had pictures of a giant underwater puzzle some divers were assembling on the bottom of a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom