SPG Mounted to Inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning on getting my own gear. I am wanting to give a wrist mounted compass and dive computer and instead of having a long hose with one gauge on it, could I get the dive shop to put a shorter hose and mount the SPG to the LP inflator hose? Also are their any down sides with this in anyones experience. Are their any downsides to having the compass mounted on the wrist, is let less comfortable?

Thanks in advance,
Hostage

There are different length High pressure hoses available. If you put a gauge on a LP inflator hose you will see IP not tank pressure. SPG must be connected to HP. Talk to your LDS, they will hook you up with what suits you best.

There are different length High pressure hoses available. If you put a gauge on a LP inflator hose you will see IP not tank pressure. SPG must be connected to HP. Talk to your LDS, they will hook you up with what suits you best.

I understand, let me clarify. I was speaking of having the SPG connected normally like it should be to the 1st stage. When I say mounted to I mean connected to hold it in place, not connected to the LP air supply. I am wanting to stream line and reduce the chances of having something tangle.

So, let me get this straight, you want to mount your SPG on a short HP hose that then somehow attach said gauge to the corrugated hose or the power inflator?

If that's the case, then go for it. Sounds awkward to me, but I've never given that configuration a try yet so who knows? There might be something to that.

Spg on a 24 inch HP hose and clipped off to a d ring on your left hip is about as streamlined as you can get. Tie the bolt snap on with braided nylon line so that if it would get hung up on something it is easily cut free. Tying it off to the inflator hose or routing it with the inflator could cause problems as the HP hose is pretty stiff when charged. It could conceivably restrict the movement of the inflator to an upright position when using it to dump air. Look at the gue website to see how an spg should be routed. Simple, streamlined, and easily accessed. Don't try to reinvent the wheel and get carried away with setting up or modifying your gear.

Gear configuration is something that takes careful thought. I have a whole section on it in my book and there are others as well. You need to remember that how you set things up not only affects you but also the people you will be diving with. Strange or convoluted set ups may confuse another diver who may need to assist you or you assist them. It does not have to be strict dir protocol but it should be simple, instinctive, and easily identified. Your life may depend on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

I'm totally confused and I'm sure it's Bush's fault.

Wrist compass is my preferred method. Easier to use, hold level, and with my bt next to it and a slate above them I have all the info I need and a place to record it. But it will do you no good at all if you don't use it and practice with it on EVERY dive. Especially those led by someone else.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Hostage if you think that will work for you try it,you can always change it if you don't like it. Learn early that what works for you is best not what someone else "thinks" is right.

Back to the original question. If you are going with a wrist mounted computer, you might want to step up a little more and get an air integrated wrist mount computer so you can check air supply along with everything else, and eliminate the other hose altogether. The key is to mount you spg or computer air supply read out where you will be able to see it easily and check it often. I have a console with computer, spg and compass, have had for a loooong time, and find no hassles or distractions with it. To each their own. As for the compass, I think that's one thing too many on the wrist. consider a stand alone compass on a retractor you can clip to a D-ring on your bc. I think you will be happier with that than a wrist mount , given the other stuff on your wrist.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom