Nomad JT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently, I completed a sidemount class in a rented Hollis SMS 100. Nice rig. I am now intrested on doing due dilligence on the Nomad JT. I've scanned the net and have been unable to find many, if any, reviews on the Noman JT by divers who have dove the rig so I'd be interested in hearing any reviews on the JT. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Stano. I'm looking forward to your hearing your impressions. Did the staff at Cave Adventures recommend any modifications to the JT?

For the record I have the Hollis heavily modified but what I hear about the JT are mixed reviews of coarse... One common review is that is it not the best for the larger tanks (steel). not sure exactly why thats just what I hear. All in all I don't know anybody that hates theirs or the JT in general its just SM is really personal diving style so like your clothes,shoes,& car it's really how you want to dive.

For me it was too short (im 6'2") or atleast felt that way and I did not like having the smooth back. I never dove it it was just the way it felt.

First of all I have had two opportunities to deal with Cave Adventurers and they are first rate. Very knowledgeable and excellent pricing.

They did modify it for me by adding some heavy bungees to hold the valves. They sold me some D rings for the butt plate to add (they told me to move the factory rear bar in). I sent an email today to get some pics, they would have installed it for me but I was in a bit of a rush. They also rigged up my cam bands for me.

Otherwise I am not sure what else they do to these particular rigs. I know with some of the other harnesses they mod them quite a bit.

The one thing I am not sure what to do with is the inflator. It comes from the bottom and I currently have it clipped to a D ring. I am going to discuss this with them on Monday. This is something I am just not used to likely. It works fine and I can manually inflate the bag no problem. I did notice that if you blow the bag right up it tightens up a bit, this is not done very often (if ever) so should not be an issue.

I did dive it in my pool last night for about an hour and I really liked it. The bungees really hold on which was a surprise. I have my hoses routed good now thanks to people on this board. I do have to figure out where to mount my weight as I am diving with 14mm of rubber and I need weight! I typically dive with a 6lb STA, 2 lb BP, and 20lbs of ditch able lead. I am going to add a 4lbs to each tank, the rest is going to have to go on a belt I suppose.

I bought a couple right valves from them today. I can see now this is basically a requirement in sm. Two Hollis Right valves for 104$...total. Very good deal!

I will keep you posted, but so far very happy. I am really liking sm, especially think it will be even better with a purpose built harness.

Stano

Use some bicycle inner tube to secure the inflator to your chest strap. It will keep it in the same place all the time and you should still be able to orally inflate. Additional weight will have to go on your waist with the JT. There just isn't anywhere else for it like with the XT.

A small XS scuba weight pocket wont' stay up on the shoulder straps between the D-Ring and the keeper?

The JT had design input from an old school sidemounter,and someone sidemounting right now that has laid a lot of line in very small cave. This is the first sidemount rig that I have seen that can go from the box to sidemounting in small passage without any significant modifications. There are a few issues,but they more likely won't be a problem for those people diving sidemount configuration.

A small XS scuba weight pocket wont' stay up on the shoulder straps between the D-Ring and the keeper?

Sure, but you need to be careful with how much weight you put there as it can throw your trim off. And you really shouldn't put more than 3lbs on each side there.

Back
Top Bottom