Freediver Patrick Musimu Dies Whilst Training Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterFreediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The freediving community is shocked with the news that well known Belgium freediver, Patrick Musimu passed away on July 22nd, 2011. It was reported that he was training Static Apnea (holding your breath) in his pool at home. Sadly, he was doing so alone.

Another sorry reminder that you must never practice any freediving activities alone. Whether you are a beginner or a World Record holder, absolutely never train alone. The first symptom of low level of oxygen is faulty judgment, so there is no such thing as, "I'll know when to stop".

Freediving is a safe and enjoyable sport when you follow the Standard Safety Practices. Ensure you are well trained in them before participating in this sport.

My thoughts go out to his wife and young daughter left behind.

Niki
Freediving Instructors International

Woof. Hard news, indeed. Thanks for posting this Niki.

Most folks don't realize how much more buddy-centric freediving is than scuba diving.

All the best, James

It's perplexing to me when extreme people die in such non-extreme ways. Steve Irwin gets killed by a friggin' sting ray and this guy dies holding his breath in his own pool...weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom