Lowering tank on a Selene II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chap

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife has a Selene II BCJ and even with the tank as low as she can safely wear it the first stage still hits her in the head. Does anybody know of a lowering system or some way that we can mount the tank lower? Possibly flip the back plate? Looking for options that don't include replacing the 1st stage (R-600).

Thanks,
Chap

Things seem to work multi dimensionally under water

Hows about raising it?

Adjusting some straps

Jumping in differently

Reconfiguring the reg

Maybe stop trying so hard to see if your head
hits the reg by hitting the reg with your head.

I don't have a Selene II (nor even know what it's like), so I can't help with specifics. But I just thought I'd mention that I had the same problem, so I know where your wife is coming from. I'm really short-waisted, and with the waist strap of the BC fastened around my waist (obviously :wink:), I couldn't look forward. I had to do a sort of side stroke/side-peer to see ahead of me - that got old really fast.

I tried various approaches (changed hoses/orientation on my first stage, borrowed a buddy's first stage of a different brand, spaced tank away from backplate slightly, etc.) to fix the problem. Spacing the tank slightly further from my back helped (not that I wanted to move my CG upwards, but it was only 3/8"), but what finally really worked was getting an STA that allowed me to move the upper cam band down on the BC.

Now I can put that cam band just below the crown of the tank and I can lift my head normally with no problem (I can just force my head to hit the first stage, but of course that's not bothersome). I happen to typically trim out head heavy/butt light, so moving the tank "down" only helps that.

This does make it slightly harder to reach my tank valve while I'm suited up (in fact I can't do it anyway right now as I'm getting over a shoulder injury), so I'm extra careful to check that my air is on before jumping in, and making sure my buddy is in close proximity. When my shoulder recovers I will re-evaluate (this is with a single tank).

One thing I noticed (and this is build-dependent) is that many people (who happened to be men) offered the option/solution of just adjusting straps and moving my BC down. This is a natural suggestion as I think it would work for just about all men and some women of "boyish" figure. I happen to have a smaller waist compared to hips, so loosening shoulder straps, etc. does nothing to move the rig down. The waist band is not moving down unless I start sawing bones...

I hope you don't mind my replying even though I could not directly answer your question. When I was trying to get my BC to fit I sometimes felt a bit "alone" due to the fact that most (actually, all, at that time) of the dive professionals I was interacting with were male, and so in some cases their suggestions didn't work for my particular build.

It's great being able to see forward when I want to :)

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom