sidemount with single lp95 and Alu 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:idk: Pardon my lack of experience but that does not sound like it would work for me at all. Mainly because the type of diving I like to do I guess.

I have very very little experience sidemounting but find i dive the combination i am enquiring about regularly backmounted with plate + wing. It would appear to be awkward to accomplish to me but i had to ask. One of the reasons I dive is that I have back troubles and live in chronic pain. I see sidemounting as a way of freeing up movement in my back and being able to carry one tank at a time to water or hang them off side of boat prior to getting in water.

I think this would be equivalent of having a Honda Civic,go-cart tires on one side and truck tires on the other. Why not two AL80s,one on each side for the balance,and then your 40.

I hear a lot of people use sidemounting as a means of relieving low back stress,but wonder to some degree how much success there is. When I see people carrying a single tank and lowering it into place,I see worse body mechanics than if the tank is back borne. Putting the tanks on in the water is great,but one has to see if they will cause greater stress getting those tanks to the starting position FWIW.

You'll be fine. People dive side heavy (BM or SM) all the time. If you can't trim out, some weight on the light side will fix your issue. I'm assuming this is for open water diving?

CyprusSeb. Thanks and Yes to the open water. I am going to try in next couple days with a countering bit of lead.

Karstdvr. Thanks for your insight .I like the comparison to Honda lopsided circle racing. I sort of do this already with one of my legs that is nerve damaged by back surgery so maybe i could put heavy tank on the other side and even out HOHOHO. For me the alu 80 tanks means that i must carry more weight both ballast and tank wise. Currently when not diving a specific dive I tend to default to using just a single tank lp 95 back mounted and an alu 30-40 of 30-32%mix slung for redundancy/bailout/light decompression obligation .This current configuration works well for me in most regular non planned 140 foot minus dives and is why i have asked the odd question.I hate to fix things that aren't broken.I do however desire to gain skills in sidemount when just out playing about.
Adding another tank is in the area of possibly self defeating as you point out in your mention of body mechanics. Swimming to and fro on surface and to an anchored boat and getting on/off boat whether wearing tanks or placing them over side on a line may also present some back mechanic issues?
Bill

If you are worried about total weight, then there is always the option of going with 3 40's for more or less the same amount of gas, and lighter tanks.

Beano
I have been out fooling about in lake with a 40 and 30 in shallow water with 23lb lead approx , no bc just drysuit.
It is a very free feeling. I have also done a bit of work on boat hull's inwater with just a single 40 on harness.
Buoyancy characteristics of 30 is way better than alu 80 and 40 may be also but I cannot remember off hand I do know the 40 is slightly pos if empty where 30 is neutral /slightly neg empty.
I like the idea and may try it out.I have never really noticed the deco bottles effecting trim when carrying. My tank collection does not include even a couple 40's but I can borrow a couple to play. A lightly overfilled steel 95 still holds 110 cu ft and has nice in water buoyancy for the cold water drysuit .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom