Back Inflation vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jseteroff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently bought a new Back Inflation BCD (Oceanic Islander 2) and couldn't be more happy with it. However, reading through the forums I see there are lots of divers of all levels that either Currently dive a BP/W or wish that they had started with one. However, other than the ability to dive doubles, I have not seen any logical reason why a BP/W is any better than a back inflation. At this point in my diving career I have no intention to become a cave diver, or do any Tech diving. I don't have the need to "standardize" my gear with a dive buddy, the people I dive with know where my alt air is and I know where theirs is.

What I really want to know is the pros and cons of both Back inflation and BP/W. Or any good comparisons. If anyone could explain this to me I would be greatful.

Look up past threads. This has been covered ad nauseum.

I recently bought a new Back Inflation BCD (Oceanic Islander 2) and couldn't be more happy with it. However, reading through the forums I see there are lots of divers of all levels that either Currently dive a BP/W or wish that they had started with one. However, other than the ability to dive doubles, I have not seen any logical reason why a BP/W is any better than a back inflation. At this point in my diving career I have no intention to become a cave diver, or do any Tech diving. I don't have the need to "standardize" my gear with a dive buddy, the people I dive with know where my alt air is and I know where theirs is.

What I really want to know is the pros and cons of both Back inflation and BP/W. Or any good comparisons. If anyone could explain this to me I would be greatful.

A BP/Wing would have given you more options on buoyancy (wing size), less bulk and wasted weight (that is weight that consumes baggage allowance but does not contribute to buoyancy control), metal D-rings where you need and want them rather than a bunch of fairly useless plastic D-rings, pocket when and where you want them, customizable components including the BP and the wing, and probably less expensive.

The fact that you asked the question tells me you will probably eventually make the switch. Good luck

This will be a can of worms, but i'll jump in.:D

A bp&w is a very stable platform. It is very streamlined. A stainless steel plate will distribute 5-6 lbs of weight evenly across the back of your ribcage and close to your body, which helps maintain balance and trim. The system can be set up with a small wing for tropical singles, or can be expanded for use with doubles. It dries quickly can all be easily broken down and packed flat for travel.

With that said, I still often dive with my Zeagle Brigade(Ranger with a 35lb bladder). I have directly compared my Zeagle to my bp&w extensively in the pool. There is no clear winner between my back inflate Zeagle and my bp&w. Both my Zeagle BC and my bp&w have crotch straps, which evens the playing field.
However, as I increase the amount of lead needed for thicker insulation in colder water or salt water, the bp&w begins to excel.

If you like your BCD and you don't feel that you are struggling with buoyancy and trim, then use it and enjoy it! If the kind of diving that you do changes in the future amd you think that it's time to look into a new bcd, then give a bp&w system a look.

All squares are rectangular, but not all rectangles are square.

A BPW is a specific type of back inflate BCD with a few notable advantages, among them: cost, customizability, modular, simple to maintain, flexible,

A number of reasons I prefer my BPW's over the two back inflates I have owned:

More stable than the back inflates I've owned
Simple and clean
Infinitely adjustable
I trim out better because the plate(s) put weight across my torso and lungs
D-rings can be moved to accommodate my body. They are all in the right place
I can configure the rig with accessories as needed for the the dive I am doing
I can change wings to match exposure protection.
If I really wanted to I could even add pockets and weight pouches. (only pocket I have is between the plate and my back for my DSMB)
I look uber cool when I wear it.

I recently bought a new Back Inflation BCD (Oceanic Islander 2) and couldn't be more happy with it.

That right there says it all. If you couldn't be more happy then you have made the right choice for you. No need to waste money on a BP/W.

I don't intend to buy anything else. Just looking for more information. (I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as too much info). After looking through many threads, I felt that it was mostly assumed that people understood a BP/W vs Back inflate. I don't so I wanted to get some clarification so that I could read posts with a better understanding.

I started off with an Islander II, my wife dives with it now.

The BP/W sets have less clutter, one piece webbing with stainless steel buckles and no plastic quick releases. My agency dictates that if you can’t get out of your harness in less than 20 seconds that quick releases must be added. So this is not a biggy. It's a modular setup for any application. The steel plates help distribute weight more evenly and enhance you trim even more. The ali reduces weight for those with heavy gear. I use 3kg of lead when I dived my Islander, with the ss plate I use zero. In short the BP/W rig is simple with no clutter; it’s strong and can be configured to dive any setup in minutes.

The Islander is a lightweight BCD (great for travel) with good trim qualities that help maintain horizontal body position in the water. It has less clutter than most other BCD’s. It’s not modular but this is not an issue as you only do recreational dives. I was not fond of the weight pockets but they work.
If you only do recreational dives I would not bother getting something else unless you want a new toy or want to start moving to a Hog/DIR setups.

The Islander is a very good BCD!

I went from a rear inflate (Zeagle) to a BP/W.

My impressions of my switch:

- Less lead. Not only did I lose lead for the five pounds of backplate steel, but I lost another five pounds for the extra padding and fabric in the Zeagle.

- Very uncluttered chest. I found it much easier to manage my lights, camera, even Reef Check survey slates and reels.

- More stable tank. I dive HP130s and 120s. With the Zeagle, I could feel my tank shift position when I was sidewise. With the BP/W, never an issue.

- Much easier to lie flat in the water. In fact, there's no effort at all.

- Much faster, easier surface swims. I wasn't expecting to be more streamlined on my back on the surface. But I am.

- Easier to glide underwater. I can feel the streamlining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom