USCG respect for dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klauricella

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know, hopefully someone in the Coast Guard know what the current regulation for a USCG boat approaching a boat with a dive flag up and divers in the water. We where diving in the St Lawrence river this weekend and had 5 divers in the water and a USCG boat pulled up with engines running to inform us we where next to the channel. I find it hard to believe that they do not have keep a safe distance like everyone else does.

Thanks
Kevin

They are "different" kinda like cops the rules and laws don't apply to them unless one of their bosses are watching. They are the Coast Guard after all. They probably only "respect" the Alpha flag anyway. Your probaly lucky they didn't cite you for the flying the wrong flag.

Their props are just as sharp as everyone elses. Without having exray vision to see divers just below the surface they should be held accountable . I have heard that both flags are to be flown on a vessel but enforcement isnt an issue.

Does anyone know, hopefully someone in the Coast Guard know what the current regulation for a USCG boat approaching a boat with a dive flag up and divers in the water. We where diving in the St Lawrence river this weekend and had 5 divers in the water and a USCG boat pulled up with engines running to inform us we where next to the channel. I find it hard to believe that they do not have keep a safe distance like everyone else does.

Thanks
Kevin

It is a bit difficult to control and maneuver a boat without the engines running. At what speed did they approach your boat?

Too bad they didn't use their engines to keep their vessel 50 ft from the boat flying the dive flag like eveyone else is suppose to do. Maybe using loud speakers or a bull horn would have been better.

Last edited:
Not sure how fast they approached I was one of the people under with my son. Probably good thing for me because I do not think I would have kept my mouth shut. We did have both the diver down and alpha flag flying.

It is a bit difficult to control and maneuver a boat without the engines running. At what speed did they approach your boat?

I think if they are in your area they have to be crawling at a snails pace. That is what I have been told. I dont know if it is true or not. Besides even going slow the prop could hurt someone.

If they motored up to you without trying to contact you on VHF radio ,bull horn,flag wave,that was dumb on their part if you had the proper flags flying and they should have been reported after giving them an ear full, but it doesnt sound like you know the regs yourself so make sure of that before you point fingers. Stay safe ,good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom