How many divers have experienced is; or is it just ME (thanks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a question for all the divers here. Opinions and feedback appreciated.

So the other day I go out on a boat for a 2 dive day with about 20 other divers. The 1st dive was to a location with some statues, some pillars with growth, some burried ship pieces, etc. Dive site was in about 45 foot of water and water temp was about 88 degrees
(Key Biscayne, FL). Dive went perfect and we stayed about an hour underwater. No problems.

Had about an hour surface interval while we went to our 2nd location.

This site was a regular shallow water scenic area. What I mean by that is: no underwater "things" to look at (placed by man or nature), no reefs, no underwater wreckage, no statues or boats or signs, etc, just FISH lol. Now I know fish are cool and all it's really exciting to see them all swimming around and what not, but it after about 20 minutes I became very bored with it all. We were in about 25 feet of water and stayed for a total of about 45 minutes.

During the dive I stayed alert and focused and performed technically sound. I did not get careless amd loose concentration or any of that. But I became very bored and everything seemed really redundant. It was very vanilla and very blah. It seemed like a warm up or something lol. I finished the dive with my buddies and everyone had a good time, myself included. It was a great diving day and we had fun. It just got boring that's all.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Am I losing it here lol.

Thanks everyone

USVet

Last edited:
Can you ID all the fish species you saw? I find dives A LOT more interesting when I can ID (and thus differentiate!) the various marine organisms that I'm looking at. When all you see are "fish" (as opposed to distinguishing the dozen+ varieties), I can definitely see how the dive could become pretty boring.

Thats an interesting angle. And NO I def cannot ID "all" the fish lol. I guess maybe I was anticipating something different that's all. I should have looked more into that and in the future if I go to a similar location I will try that for sure

When I travel to a new area (which is unfortunately pretty rarely), I try to get one of those laminated fish ID cards. Pulling it out *in the water* and starting to learn the names (and figuring out how to tell the different species apart) is a fun and rewarding game to play when there's nothing else around to compete for your attention.

Have fun!

I made a dive at a sea lion rookery once when the sea lions were all over us the entire dive. Everyone had so much fun that the Captain decided to stay there for another dive. I watched the sea lions for a few minutes, then decided to relax underwater. I laid on my back in the sand and slowly blew bubble rings for several minutes. Before long, two sea lions came over and laid in the sand on either side of me, mimicking me, blowing their own bubbles. A couple of other divers swam by and saw this going on. When I got back on the boat everyone began calling me Zen Diver. Sometimes you just have to make your own dive interesting.

That's hysterical, but I can absolutely picture it happening lol.

Sometimes I guess when you get lemons mak lemonade.

Could be worse though I suppose; I could be NOT DIVING :wink:

Dude, wait until your 400th dive at the same spot... you have no idea how boring this **** can get -- but at the same time it's still pretty cool to be underwater, although sometimes I get so bored I disassemble my regulators, remove gear, do handstands...

Michael

A man I profoundly respect once wrote, "You will never have a bad dive in Puget Sound, if you look at what is there, and not what isn't."

You had fish. Rainer has already raised the idea of learning to identify them, but one of my favorite things is to watch behavior. Are they territorial? Is somebody getting cleaned? How do they react to you -- are some skittish and some torpid? Do they react to one another, perhaps with some impressive displays?

I have had the rare dive where I started to feel bored, but I always know it's my attitude, and not the dive, so I try to fix it. One of my current fixes is carrying a camera. You CAN'T get bored trying to get a perfect picture (or even a better one than yesterday!)

On a charter dive, some may be enjoying the fish, some (like your self) may not. Ask next dive out and see if you can hook up on boats that are diving the things you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom