Snorkeling The Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjla67

Registered
Reaction score
First off, I want to introduce myself to the group as I have lurked here from sometime to learn some valuable hints and tips and this is by far the best group I have come across to help beginners and advanced divers and snorkelers by far!

My wife and I just returned from our annual road trip to the Florida Keys and spent 9 days in The Keys, 6 of them in the water. We have been going to The Keys now for 11 years, and it wasn't until recently that we started to snorkel, most of it at Bahia Honda. Thanks to the great tips from everyone here, this time we also went to Looe Reef, Key West Marine Park and Fort Zachary Taylor, all of which was amazing. We were able to see things we only dreamed about, and had a blast doing so.

Since I am new, I can't post links to any of the videos I have shot in The Keys or around Tampa Bay where we are from, but will do so as soon as I make my quota that I hope many of you will enjoy. Thanks again everyone, and I look forward to learning and sharing a little of what I know with you all.

Robert.

rjla67: Is there any worthwhile diving around Tampa? I have the keys to a house in town which I can use any time.

Really not as good as the Keys of course here in the bay area, as we do have artificial reefs several miles offshore that can be pretty good. I would check with some local dive boat captains in St Pete/Clearwater at the marinas, but most of them do fishing charters.

A friend of mine who is a diver has gone out a couple of times and said it was OK, but not all that spectacular.

Robert.

This is a video (one of many) that I shot and edited from last year. I still have to go through all 6+ hours from this years and will add them when completed.

[video=youtube;l2aWF-eDwaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2aWF-eDwaI[/video]

Here is a link to a lot more videos if anyone is interested: OceanBahia on YouTube

Robert.

It would be worth your while paying for a snorkel trip out to the reefs in the key largo area. There reefs that are in the 10' range (cave of minnows comes to mind). It costs maybe $35 a head so expensive but well worth it.

welcome aboard!!!!!!
...you do realize that you are just scratching the surface,dontcha????
it's a slippery slope-no really!!!!!
have fun!!!!
i love snorkling also!!!!!!!!
yaeg

Thanks! Yes, we are already addictive and every time we go out, we see or experience something different or totally unexpected!

Just the way my wife and i started snorkling at fort zack have fun and enjoy the ride

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom