COZUMEL - Wetsuit / No Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skins or 3mm is probably good enough. you should have some covering especially if you get close to the reefs given the proliferation of fire corals there.

Mostly it depends on the diver.
I normally wear a skin in any water >75 degrees, my wife wears a 3mm in the Caribbean, 7mm in california.

Rule of thumb; Pack for the plane, rent the rest.

For me, a body suit for protection only would do for anywhere down there, any time of year. But everone's different.

I've dived it in a 3mil jacket and a skin. I was fine in both. I wouldn't suggest just shorts or shorts/t-shirt...the temp is fine, but a little protection against "sea fleas", etc is advisable.

If you can stay off the coral all you need is speedos or trunks. It's mostly drift diving down there.

I like a hooded vest and board shorts. The hooded vest is generally warm enough (3mm core, 5mm hood), but if I start to get a little cold, simply pulling the hood over my head makes a noticeable difference.

If we're doing 4-6 dives a day, I'll go to a 1.5mm full suit and my hooded vest or just a 3mm full suit (if I brought it).

It really depends on your tolerance for "cold".
For me in COZ, I have used my 3/2 shortie and it works very well.
Most recently I have swicthed over to a 1mm fullsuit. Plenty warm for me.
Easy to pack, fairly fast to dry, provides protection from the stingy things.
But for those afternoon/twilight shore dives it's just a bathing suit.

Not only does it depend on your cold tolerance, imo, but it also depends on how much you plan to dive. If you're doing four hours of diving a day for five days, a skin is probably not enough (for me, even a 7mm is not enough). But if you're doing a handful of dives and don't get cold easily, a skin is probably plenty.

It's a pretty huge bummer if you plan to do a bunch of dives and either find that you can't or you're not enjoying them because you're cold. It's a lot easier to cool yourself off if you're too hot (by flushing water through your suit), but not a lot can be done about warming yourself up if you're too cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom