Lionfish Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjla67

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a question about Lionfish. While my wife and I were snorkeling in the Keys, we came across several Lionfish in a state park in Key West (Fort Taylor). We were there on 3 separate occasions and saw them in about the same area each time.

I was shocked to see them, but do admit they are beautiful to see in the water. Is there somewhere or someone to report the sightings and where they are? I'm pretty sure they are still there (saw them last week). I shot video of them and photographed exactly whree they are Thanks.

Robert.

many would suggest killing them yourself, before they can run... err swim away
or even worse..reproduce

The best lionfish is a dead lionfish. The state should be paying a bounty for them. If you think that they are pretty now, wait a couple years while they reproduce and kill off everything else on the reef and see what you think of them.

No different than killing them outside of a state park. Same technique.

No different than killing them outside of a state park. Same technique.

not true in monroe county. as an example, spearing of any kind(with or without a permit to collect lionfish in protected areas) is prohibited in pennekamp state park(you are allowed to catch lionfish by netting and fishing only) and fort zachory taylor. numerous other areas in monroe county prohibit spearing of any means, examples: all state waters in monroe county south to long key, all SPAS in the FKNMS, the key largo and looe key exsisitng management areas etc. most of incorperated and unincorperated monroe county have no take rules within 300 ft of the shoreline. catching by other means is allowed in certain areas. here are the rules

Spearfishing in the Florida Keys

reefman
key largo

I hate to say it but we are fighting a loosing battle. I can only hope that the predators can catch up with this fish as we have little chance of keeping them under control.

By all means kill them if you can do so without personal risk, and that includes fines in some areas. The only predators I am aware of are Goliath Grouper and Sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom