Question for Tokina 10-17mm Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do these lenses make a lot of noise when auto focusing? Are they known to make a fair bit of noise?
Are they known to get louder with use/age?

I can't answer your long-term question as I don't own one. I rented one for my trip to Roatan a few weeks ago and used it on about a dozen dives.

I never noticed any noise when focusing.

Mine doesn't make a lot of noise but I haven't had it long enough to know if it will with age.

Mine does not make any noise, or at least not enough to be heard UW. I'd contact THK and see what they think. They are the US distributor for Tokina and they handle repairs.

If you can hear it auto-focus, I'd guess that you have a problem. Remember that the 10-17 has a very big DOF, so little focusing is required.

THK Photo Products, Inc.

Been shooting the 10-17mm for a couple of years now, in fact own two of them. In an aluminum housing I cannot detect any noise from the auto-focus, nor it would seem do the fish:wink: Now my new housing, Aquatica AD7000, comes equipped with a hydrophone and it does pick up significant noise from the auto-focus. Enough when shooting video that part of the "soundtrac" is unusable. Curious to why you ask?

Thinking of buying a used one and the owner states that its got "some gear noise when auto focusing".
He also stated: "Gear Noise is only noticeable to a pro shooter" and when I asked him what noise he was talking about: "Very slight clicking sound not noticeable to people close by or animal subjects that might be nervous".

Makes me wonder whats wrong with it.

Only used mine underwater for 8 dives and did not notice any noise.

Didnt end up buying the lens. Buying a new one in a few weeks.

Thx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom