bad dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiverJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I purchased a brand new dive flag last Friday for scallop diving in Cape Ann on Monday. We are down about 50 feet visibility is a bout 15 feet, water tempaerature is a balmy 56 deg.. Doing OK finding scallops and my dive partner points to my reel and indicates to reel in my line. I look back and a bit of line is free floating in the water behind me. I wind the line and swim towards it and I suddenly notice my dive flag is sitting errect on the ocean floor. The foam is compressed to half its normal size (understnadably) but I can't believe I was able to drag it down with out knowing it. Poor quality? Poor diving?

Probably both. (Just kidding, of course.) I have no idea since I've never used a flag/float.

I used to shore dive a lot in Cape Ann when I lived back East. Love it! :D

I can't remember ever owning a dive flag and float that I could drag underwater without realizing it. Most were too buoyant. I am assuming it was one of those basic ones with just a small round ball and a flag on the end of it sticking out? Maybe that could happen with one of those but it certainly shouldn't. Finding a decent flag and float can be a pain. I would avoid the ones you blow up with your mouth (yellow and red usually) or the ones I mentioned before. Very cheap IMHO and ten to break, deflate, etc... over time.

Since moving out to SoCal the ones I see out here regularly seem very nice. They are the tire tube type with the cover over them and then a nice flag on top or even no flag mostly here but I believe Cape Ann requires the flag for each and every diver thanks to insane lobster boats who think every diver is stealing from their traps.

Good luck!

i had one of those set-ups once!!!!!
i would see it following me at 100' deep and think i was narced!!!!!!
they lose bouyancy at about 10'....
so if you dont realize that you haven't played out enough line...they join you at the bottom!!!!
great fun trying to put it into your exhaust stream to try to refloat it ,however!!!!!!!!
get a styrofoam ball and put that mast through-10 years and alot of current and it ain't followed yet!!!!
hope youre enjoying cape ann!!!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

Bad flag! No flying! :d

you aren't alone... Someone I know actually pulls his float down and only has it on the surface when he surfaces.

Without seeing what the flag / float look like, it's hard to comment on your situation.

I know that I couldn't pull my flag down if I wanted to without adding a lot more lead.

Haha. This same exact thing happened to me Monday. I am pretty sure I know the exact type of flag you're referring to. I was scallop diving in Boston Harbor and I descended very quickly so I would land on a scallop bed due to current only to find my flag sitting on the bottom next to me since I didn't let out enough line. I didnt have my normal flag with me, I was borrowing one of the boat's flags. I ended up just carrying the flag and using my SMB/spool as a makeshift flag since I always carry one.

The dive flag you have probably isnt very buoyant and is extremely easy to pull down if you're not paying attention. On a shore dive, it usually isn't compressed enough to sink for me but this was the first time I experienced the same thing you did.

I attached a picture of the flag in question. Is this the same one you're referring to? I dont recommend these flags at all for that reason that they're very easy to pull down if you're not paying attention to them
SCMX-FH03-2.jpg

hmmmm....I must be really wimpy because when I don't let out enough line, my flag (like the one pictured) yanks me back up a little (granted it hasn't been on descent, just water getting deeper).....I never would have thought it could be submerged that easily....new objective for my dives this weekend :eyebrow:

All of which is why I have an inflatable tube on which my flay flies, and I can put a bottle of water, extra lead, or a mesh bag with what I have found/retrieved in the center well. It deflates and flattens and weighs little. I have packed it with gear on trips by air. I have use the design you show, and I think they are not well suited to the purpose, especially in rougher water. I like my "mini platform" for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that you can see it a long way off. (bright yellow innertube, red and white flag.
DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom