Scubapro TEK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Levigarrett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's my situation. I'm in the process of dipping my toe into the Tech water with ADV Nitrox. I plan on following that up with some more gear intensive training so it looks like my Rec Oceanic gear will need to be replaced. I've long considered the BP/W setup to be superior however I've never had reason to purchase that kind of gear for the diving I've done previously. While I know this is a terribly subjective question, I'm looking for advice for my next gear purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Scubapro TEK line and if so, how do you folks think it compares to the following brands regarding durability, functionality, warranty, price and flexibility (singles to doubles)? In other words, for those willing to take a shot at my question, rank the following brands and if you have specific operational experience, tell me why you feel this way. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

1. Scubapro TEK
2. HOG
3. OMS
4. Halcyon
5. Dive Rite

:popcorn: here we go.

The HOG stuff is priced such that you don't need to worry about servicing it - just use til it breaks and buy new. </sarcasm>

Or if you want - you can buy the service kits and obtain training on the open market. Gotta love a gear manufacturer that makes quality stuff, sells it for very little and empowers you to service it on your own. Also I like HOG because they have a pretty full offering (regs, plates, wings, smb, etc.)

OMS has solid stuff. I avoid Halcyon/DR because you just don't need to spend that kind of $ for that kind of gear.

Check out DSS and Hollis as well for other good options.

:popcorn: here we go.

No doubt, I'm hoping that only those who've used the gear will respond. Like I said, it's subjective and I'm aware of that. However, if someone were to provide specific dislikes or likes, I'm hoping the thread will not go the way of some of it's predecessors. I hope...

The HOG stuff is priced such that you don't need to worry about servicing it - just use til it breaks and buy new. </sarcasm>

Or if you want - you can buy the service kits and obtain training on the open market. Gotta love a gear manufacturer that makes quality stuff, sells it for very little and empowers you to service it on your own. Also I like HOG because they have a pretty full offering (regs, plates, wings, smb, etc.)

OMS has solid stuff. I avoid Halcyon/DR because you just don't need to spend that kind of $ for that kind of gear.

Check out DSS and Hollis as well for other good options.

Thanks for that, I've heard your sentiments regarding HOG and Halcyon echoed exactly as you describe here. The Halcyon stuff seems like great stuff but I'm aware of the pricing premium.

No doubt, I'm hoping that only those who've used the gear will respond. Like I said, it's subjective and I'm aware of that. However, if someone were to provide specific dislikes or likes, I'm hoping the thread will not go the way of some of it's predecessors. I hope...

I use a APEKS SS BP and a DR harness and 27# wing. It works for me. I've never tried ALL the others, as I suspect few have, so that's why I posted :popcorn: I hope you get the answer you are looking for, but you'll probably get a lot of bias opinions. The beauty of a bp/w kit is that they all basically function the same. It would be hard to justify $100 difference, IMO.

I use a APEKS SS BP and a DR harness and 27# wing. It works for me. I've never tried ALL the others, as I suspect few have, so that's why I posted :popcorn: I hope you get the answer you are looking for, but you'll probably get a lot of bias opinions. The beauty of a bp/w kit is that they all basically function the same. It would be hard to justify $100 difference, IMO.

I suspect you're right. The better way for me to have posed this question would probably have been to have solicited a post like yours. Simply, "Tell me what BP/W you dive and why you like it."

Thanks.

I have used the DSS plates and wings, and the HOG plates and wings. Both are very functional. DSS has a few nice refinements, like the elastomeric grommets in the bottom slots; HOG is less expensive.

I didn't like the Halcyon wings, because I'm unused to the slow inflator, but I'm sure it's something I could learn to use, if I dove them enough. They're certainly well made, and customer service on them is good.

I looked at the ScubaPro Tek setup in our shop. The harness is unnecessarily complicated and the wing looked rather large, although I didn't find out what size it was. The rig was also improperly assembled, which I found amusing. I know no one who is diving this gear.

When in doubt, listen to Lynne.

Ok Im game for that, I dive a DR rec with with a basic harness and SS backplate, it also has a pocket for tables, and slate book for notes. I have also dive on a Halycon wing and it was like any other wing, nice and it did the job. I got my plate from dive gear express for cheap and the wing off of e-bay for 100$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom