Storing gear in garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to store my mask, fins, booties, gloves and snorkel in a small suitcase in my garage. It does get hot in the garage, so is this a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks.

Put a solar attic fan on your garage. I did and it keeps my garage about 10-15 degrees cooler.

If there are any heaters or other things that produce ozone in your garage, keep your gear as far away as possible.

No sun, I assume. Why keep the stuff in a suitcase to compound heat? Leave the stuff out and pack it in the suitcase the NIGHT before you leave to go wherever. Or set it out in the car in the suitcase if you leave early A.M.

Put a solar attic fan on your garage. I did and it keeps my garage about 10-15 degrees cooler.

If there are any heaters or other things that produce ozone in your garage, keep your gear as far away as possible.

Thanks for the tip about the solar attic fan.

What else would produce ozone in the garage?

Thanks.

No sun, I assume. Why keep the stuff in a suitcase to compound heat? Leave the stuff out and pack it in the suitcase the NIGHT before you leave to go wherever. Or set it out in the car in the suitcase if you leave early A.M.

Thought about keeping it in the suitcase to keep it all together and clean when not in use. I guess I can keep it in a large uncovered rubbermaid tub. Is the heat from the garage a
bad idea in general? Should this be avoided?

Thanks.

Keep your easy to store small suitcase of gear in the opposite corner
from, the cow

I cheated, with my ten suitcases, sold the cow and now buy my milk
from the shop

Ozone, methane, who gives a fluff?

I believe that ultra-violet light does more damage that the heat in a garage. I keep my gear in several rubbermaid containers and they seem to do just fine.

Just keep it away from hot water tank or dryer and make sure your garage is cool. I say keep it tucked under your bed or in a closet in your bedroom. I say that because my garage is like a slaughter house for a BC or any inflatable in that manner.

I use to be able to sit at the dining room table. Heck I use to have a dining room.

You should store your gear in a cool environment. Heat and UV accelerates plasticizer decay.

I store all of my gear in my garage. What I don't store in there is a car, gasoline-powered tools or gas cans. Gasoline fumes and dive equipment really aren't compatible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom