Rotating Buddha Hover? Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Divers!

So, I was just contemplating the last time I was diving and how enjoyable it was to just Buddha Hover and float my way across the dive site and it got me thinking, "Would it be possible to do a "backflip" in a Buddha Hover?

I guess what I'm thinking is that it might work this way?

1. Buddha Hover w/legs crossed
2. Lean back just enough to begin rotation (like a slow-mo backflip)
3. Hang there hovering upside-down for a second or two in a normal but inverted buddha.
4. "Lean" backwards again, so really this time im "leaning" back towards the surface.
5. Take a slightly deeper breath to initiate upward rotation.
6. When back in original orientation, return to normal Buddha.

So maybe I'm crazy, but I can't think of ever seeing someone do this before and I cant figure out why. Personally, I think it would be really fun, but I suspect there is something im missing.

Any thoughts on problems I might encounter? I'll be giving it a try in a few days when im diving again, but at the moment I can't help but try to figure it out!

Go Diving and Keep Living!

Bhuda says...

SCUBA diver who view world upside down
soon have crack up

Picture28-3.png

No, okay, seriously, PADI has a Specialty Certification for this.
Don't even think about doing this without professional training.
I mean it, really.
Okay?

Reactions: Jax
I guess I'd wonder if you can actually "lean" backward enough, when upside-down, to give your lung buoyancy enough leverage to continue to turn you. But the only way to find out is to try!

I suspect you'll need to use some arm/hand motion to accomplish this.

I like 'sitting' in a lotus position (Buddha?) in a slow drift dive or spending a lot of time observing a small area on a wall.

I usually save the diving gymnastics for pool play time... less risk, no buddy to supervise.

@ccx2: Why wouldnt you? Perfecting buoyancy is one of the cornerstones of being a great diver, and this would just be one more test of that. Also, trying new skills/gear manipulations in the pool is one of my favorite parts about diving if I can't actually get out there immediately. Any time diving is better than any time not :)

@InstaGator: I believe the lotus is the same as the Buddha, just a cross-legged hover. I too find it an enjoyable and relaxing way to spend some time during a dive :)

@TSandM:That was exactly my thinking! I'm curious to see if when I try to rotate back up, if instead I will simply float up inverted. We'll know soon enough!

@RoatanMan: Really? What org. covers it in their specialty? I know the Lotus/Buddha hover is covered in PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy course, but I was not aware any org covered a rotating one! I've taken the PPB, but perhaps my instructor missed this part?

Honestly, I cant tell if your being serious about leaving it to the professionals lol I would see no reason to do so :p

Thanks for the great replies! I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has personally been able to do this!

Togalive, i see from your post at the bottom of the page that you are well trained,so i would think you would have your buoyancy down pat,is this budda move something you want to learn so you can show it to others while diving for some reason? I am new to diving and dont understand why you would want to show this move instead of enjoying a dive for what it is. Seems an odd thing to me,please explain.

@RoatanMan: Really? What org. covers it in their specialty? I know the Lotus/Buddha hover is covered in PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy course, but I was not aware any org covered a rotating one! I've taken the PPB, but perhaps my instructor missed this part?

You're really going to need huge lung capacity.

IMG_0119.jpg

Thanks for the great replies! I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has personally been able to do this!

Personally, I think if you think of something that looks like it would be fun to try in the water, you should try it -- assuming you have enough experience to handle things if they go wrong. You don't have to have a reason, except that it would be fun to try.

Looking forward to hearing the report!

Back
Top Bottom