Clipping off an SMB/Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know it's generally a bad idea to clip a DSMB to you before it's at the surface (IE while filling it). I can also see the logic of not clipping a surface marker (at the surface) to you for reasons of getting dragged by boats/currents/what-have-you in a way that you can't release safely and easily.

My question is basically what the common practice is. I did some shore dives (shallow) in FL where we had to carry a dive flag and at some points I carried the flag. I clipped it to my waist d-ring at one point and it was much more convenient that way but I eventually unclipped it and just kept it in my hand.

One of the folks I was with kept her flag clipped to her at all times and another said that's just stupid. A third cut his flag "reel" handle (more like a kite string winder than a reel) and just stuck his arm through it such that if it got yanked it would just "pop off" his arm (I suspect cutting the hell out of his arm in the process since he didn't wear a wetsuit) but he still had his hands free. Generally I liked his approach the best but it wasn't my flag to cut up... I'm considering adding a "quick release" mechanism to an arm-band for mine the next time I need it.

I can see both sides of this argument and I didn't find it particularly difficult to handle the flag when it was my turn to carry it but I really preferred having my hands free.

So, just a quick census to see how everyone carries their flags and SMBs that remain on the surface. Do you clip or leave it "free"?

Another question, do any of you put lights/strobes on your flags for night diving or just let the flag stand out on it's own? This idea seemed so obvious to me (when I saw it on someone else's flag) that I was surprised I haven't seen more flags with integrated strobes.

The one dive where I actually kept the flag with me, rather than just tying off to structure on the bottom, I just held onto the reel for the duration of the dive. Maybe a little inconvenient, but not that big of a deal. I would still rather just secure the entire thing and make sure I don't venture too far away, but under no circumstances would I secure it to myself by any means. Even if it were something that seemed in theory would be easy to detach or would break away.

I wouldn't try to overthink it.

Also, I like the idea of attaching some type of strobe or glow stick to the flag for night diving. While I've heard the stories of dive flags being ignored whether it was day or night, for safety's sake I'd rather the peace of mind knowing I did the best I could to make it visible.

In some parts of California, dive flags are required by law. Because of this, I usually either just tow it along with me by holding the reel in my hand very lightly (heavy boat traffic, so I prefer to keep my fingers if it gets yanked), or I tie it off to the bottom around the halfway mark of my diveplan. As for night dives, I always have a glowstick or flashlight suspended from the bottom of the float, along with a glowstick at the top of the diveflag. I would use a strobe, but I just dont have one at the moment.

P.S: Also, its a bit off topic, but it does deal with dive flags. Remember that just because you have a diveflag up doesnt mean boats cant legally roll right up on top of you. As of now, at least in California and I suspect the majority of the US, there are no federal or state laws saying that a boat MUST stay back a set distance from a dive flag. While you will earn kudos for being cautious and putting one up, if a boat decides to park themselves right on top of it theres nothing that can be done. The only way to legally protect yourself is to fly both a dive flag and an alpha pennant, or just the alpha pennant. This is because the alpha pennant is legally recognized as meaning that a vessel has restricted mobility, and that could help you win a court case should something happen.

I generally carry the reel in my hand, but there are times when I clip it off to my body. i know it is dangerous and I have also reheased many times in my head a super fast draw of my knife and a cut of a line if it gets snagged by a boat, not sure if it is practical, but it make me feel less guilty about sacificing personal safety for convenience.

What you might want to consider is clipping a small SS grapling hook to the reel. This is the way I generally dive,and it allows me to hook off the reel/float system quickly in a currrent to free my hands when they need to be.

Also if the current is very moderate, the hook can be heavy enough to allow you to just throw the reel/hook in the sand and it will drag along slowly enough to allow recovery in 60 seconds or something even if it does not get snagged on a rock or something.

I generally carry the reel in my hand, but there are times when I clip it off to my body. i know it is dangerous and I have also reheased many times in my head a super fast draw of my knife and a cut of a line if it gets snagged by a boat, not sure if it is practical, but it make me feel less guilty about sacificing personal safety for convenience.

What you might want to consider is clipping a small SS grapling hook to the reel. This is the way I generally dive,and it allows me to hook off the reel/float system quickly in a currrent to free my hands when they need to be.

Also if the current is very moderate, the hook can be heavy enough to allow you to just throw the reel/hook in the sand and it will drag along slowly enough to allow recovery in 60 seconds or something even if it does not get snagged on a rock or something.

I once saw some guys doing a shore dive using a small boat anchor tied to their flag. Probably about a 5 pounder.

In some parts of California, dive flags are required by law. Because of this, I usually either just tow it along with me by holding the reel in my hand very lightly (heavy boat traffic, so I prefer to keep my fingers if it gets yanked), or I tie it off to the bottom around the halfway mark of my diveplan. As for night dives, I always have a glowstick or flashlight suspended from the bottom of the float, along with a glowstick at the top of the diveflag. I would use a strobe, but I just dont have one at the moment.

P.S: Also, its a bit off topic, but it does deal with dive flags. Remember that just because you have a diveflag up doesnt mean boats cant legally roll right up on top of you. As of now, at least in California and I suspect the majority of the US, there are no federal or state laws saying that a boat MUST stay back a set distance from a dive flag. While you will earn kudos for being cautious and putting one up, if a boat decides to park themselves right on top of it theres nothing that can be done. The only way to legally protect yourself is to fly both a dive flag and an alpha pennant, or just the alpha pennant. This is because the alpha pennant is legally recognized as meaning that a vessel has restricted mobility, and that could help you win a court case should something happen.
I was under the impression FL at least has a mandate that a boat must be at least 100(??) feet from a diver down flag (where possible). I could be wrong about that. I know I read something about it in one of the threads regarding the FL doctor who ran over a diver with his boat and then took off... that was in association with a boat too, though, so they may have had an alpha flag...

If you're going to clip it to your body, use a "breakaway" ... such as a rubber o-ring or something that will detach the flag from you if it should suddenly get yanked or run over by a boat. Basically, you'd loop the o-ring through itself on a D-ring, and then attach your reel to the o-ring.

As for strobes ... just know that in some places (Canada, for instance) maritime strobes are a distress signal ... attaching one to your flag might draw unwanted attention ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was under the impression FL at least has a mandate that a boat must be at least 100(??) feet from a diver down flag (where possible). I could be wrong about that. I know I read something about it in one of the threads regarding the FL doctor who ran over a diver with his boat and then took off... that was in association with a boat too, though, so they may have had an alpha flag...
That's true in most states. Unfortunately, the law is rarely enforced ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom