:) Scubapro MK11 with balanced S600 or S500 or G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear bubble makers :) ,
Could anyone advise if MK11 with either balanced S600 , S500 or G250 works fine or not ?

According to the scubapro website , they have set certain sec with certain primary.
I have tried an mk17 with G250 , which was really smooth . Since then I'm thinking to use a balanced secondary S600 reg. but I need to know if it works fine with MK11.

Regards
Nomro

No problem using any for them with a balanced diaphragm first stage....or any other first stage for that matter. The MK-11 is a balanced diaphragm first stage as opposed to most other SP regs which are blanced piston regs. As far as the second stage is concerned, as long as it gets the proper gas flow at close to the correct IP it will work fine. At worst you may have to have the second tuned a little but since it's balanced the odds are it will not need to be.

I just posted on Scubapro package strategy - it has nothing to do with what works. Any SP first will work fine with any SP second and the Mk 11 with a G250 or S600 makes a good combination for a warm water diver wanting great inhalation effort in a smaller and lighter first stage than the MK 25.

I am waiting on the C300 I ordered in March - I have played with them a bit but want one for thorough testing in silty/sandy caves, etc. But it promises to be an excellent performing second stage with low parts count, easy maintenance and extremely good reliability at a very good price point.

If that holds true, it would work very well on a Mk 11 for a lot less money than an S600.

The only difference between the Mk11 & Mk17 is the cold environmental kit installed on the Mk17. Unless you're diving in cold water it is not needed.

I have Mk17/S555, H75P/Halo (aka Mk25/G250) and Hollis DC1/212 regulator sets. Found the Mk17/S555 more than adequate for recreational diving. I had originally ordered the set as the Mk11/S555. The dealer was able to give the Mk17 at the same price, due to availability. Only difference between the S555 & S600 is the adjustable inhalation knob. Don't know if it's really needed for most divers. You can always add it later for ~$30 in parts, plus labor.

At the price, it's tough to beat the Mk11/S555 for warmer water recreational diving. The S555 breaths the same at ~130' as 13'. If you're looking to grow into deep, or technical diving would recommend starting off with the Mk25/G250. The Mk25/G250 breaths much nicer at all depths than the others.

I am waiting on the C300 I ordered in March - I have played with them a bit but want one for thorough testing in silty/sandy caves, etc. But it promises to be an excellent performing second stage with low parts count, easy maintenance and extremely good reliability at a very good price point.

If that holds true, it would work very well on a Mk 11 for a lot less money than an S600.

Is the C300 balanced ? I'm asking because I have R395 with my MK11 but when I tried the G250 with MK17 from a friend the breathing effort was much much much better ,so I thought to replace the R395 (unbalanced) with the S600 or G250 for better performance and effortless breathing.

The non adjustable C200 and the adjustable C300 are not balanced but the design is exceptionally well executed and offers excellent performance.

If used on a balanced first like the Mk 11, Mk 17 or Mk 25, where the IP is stable throughout the dive, balancing the second makes no real difference provided the second stage is otherwise high performing. The R series seconds were not all that great in terms of quality, consistency or performance, but the C series second stages have so far impressed me.

------

The only difference between the Mk 11 and Mk 17 is sadly not restricted to just the sealed ambient chamber - the differences in diaphragm and washers restricts the working range and flow rate on the Mk 11. Still a good reg, but it has the potential to be better if SP would let it be better.

The non adjustable C200 and the adjustable C300 are not balanced but the design is exceptionally well executed and offers excellent performance.

If used on a balanced first like the Mk 11, Mk 17 or Mk 25, where the IP is stable throughout the dive, balancing the second makes no real difference provided the second stage is otherwise high performing. The R series seconds were not all that great in terms of quality, consistency or performance, but the C series second stages have so far impressed me.

Then I will wait for your feedback when you receive your C300 especially from the breathing effort compared to the R395 .

So the question now is C300 Vs S600 with MK11 . which would work better and provide effortless breathing ?

Hello All ,

I have sent an email to Scubapro asking about the S600 compatibility with my MK11 , and the expected performance , their reply came as follows :
Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO equipment.
The S600 will work great with the MK11 first stage

So I'm getting more encouraged to go with the S600, although I'm not sure if Scubapro's answer is based on actual testing or just theoretically speaking . So I would appreciate it if someone who actually tried that setup could share his view with us .

Thanks
Nomro

The S600 will work on the MK11, I have buddy that uses MK11/S555 (upgraded to S600) in side mount configuration. If you have dove the MK17, the MK11 is basically the same except for the environmental seal.

Another buddy of mine has a MK17/A700 and his girlfriend has a MK11/S555 and she loves it. As someone has mentioned the S555 is identical to the S600 except for the inhalation adjustment knob (which can be upgraded).

In short the S600 will work with a MK11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom