Top three reasons to do your local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of recent threads got me reflecting on just what Puget Sound has to offer, and I thought it would be a fun thread, if we all came up with three reasons why people would want to do OUR local diving. I'll start:

1. Giant Pacific Octopuses. Enough said.
2. Seattle entries. We wait to get in until the boat wakes pass.
3. Abundant shore diving. Something like 20 or so very decent dive sites within a two hour drive time from anywhere in the Seattle megalopolis.

I'll enjoy what the rest of you have to say!

I'm at Subic Bay. It's a very different experience compared to other reef-orientated diving locations in the Philippines. Suits me, because I grew up wreck diving in the UK :D

1. Multiple Ship Wrecks
2. Recreational Depths.
3. Sheltered, current-free waters.

1. It costs way less.
2. It's convenient, for the most part.
3. It costs way less.

1) 70 degrees year around

2) crystal clear

3) lots of life

1)Kelp forest diving.

2)great shore diving with a variety of dive types

3) the water temp stays about the same year round so there is no "off" diving season.

1. You'll learn to be a very good diver.

2. & 3. See above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. The experience of a dive in the Point Loma Kelpbeds on a sunny day in the late afternoon. The lighting is gorgeous. There's something magical about the way the shafts of light filter through the swaying kelp forest.
  2. La Jolla Cove. Where else can you see topes, giant sea bass, seals, and sevengill sharks...all on the same dive? Oh, yeah, and you don't need to go any deeper than 45 fsw.
  3. All the different macro life at La Jolla Shores -- nudibranchs, rockpool blennies, and yellowfin fringeheads.

I ultimately prefer ocean diving, but if we're talking local then I have to write this based on where I live (during the summer) and am currently diving besides the ocean, Whiskeytown Lake, CA.

1. We have all the silt you could ever want! 3+ feet of it sitting on the bottom just waiting to be stirred up!
2. We've got the summer tourist boat traffic to boot! More spinning props then you can imagine! And best of all, their often curious little buggers when it comes to your floating diveflag!
3. Barren bottoms littered with trash, logs, and plenty of entanglement hazards! I think it adds a bit of excitement when the average vis is 10ft :)

But really, no matter how many poor qualities our local diving lake has up here, I value my time diving there just as much if not more than the ocean. The conditions really allow you to test yourself in cold water and poor conditions overall on a regular basis, and I know it makes me a better diver.

Off Atlantic City.
1 lots of wrecks.
2 lots of flounder, and lobster.
3 the boat is 15 minutes from my house.

Back
Top Bottom