Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 G ED AF S DX lens with +4 diopter and Ikelite dome #5503.50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Gulliver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I expect to do some dives at Elphinstone Reef (Red Sea) in October. There is a good chance of seeing various sharks and dolphins there but I will probably not be able to get close enough to get good results with my Tokina 10-17mm, so I'm considering using the lens/port combination mentioned in the heading, which I have. Has anybody tried it? If so, what were the results?

Hi John,

The low price but nice Nikon 18-55mm versions (AF-S, ED, AF-S VR) all focus to 10" Im pretty sure just like their Canon counterparts. So no diopter is necessary.

In fact, if you ADD one you will be able to focus a BIT closer but likely give up some DISTANCE focus. Meaning if the sharks don't come close you won't be able to get a focus lock :(

I NEVER add diopters to a lens that can focus that close by itself.

With those low cost lenses I either shoot them fixed at 18mm (equal to about 27mm on your cropped Nikon 1.5X sensor) which is a nice range for "medium sized sharks up to 6' or so at shooting distances of 4' - 5' or zoom to maybe 24mm - 28mm on the LENS barrel giving me a tighter "view". I rarely zoom it to 55mm.

Shoot no lower than f8, maybe f11 if 3' or closer. If at the outside range of 4' -5' crank your flash power UP even a bit. Just don't aim the flash at the white under bellys of the sharks or you'll blow them out.

These shots were taken with a Canon 18-55mm lens at 18mm (equal to 29mm) and single wide beam strobe.

Good luck!

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_8519.jpg
    IMG_8519.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 194
Thanks David. Actually the lens focuses to 12". Ikelite recommend a +4 diopter with this lens and dome in order to avoid soft corners. I've dived Elphinstone Reef several times before and seen sharks every time but never closer than about 30 feet (the visibility there is usually at least 100 feet). I used a Nikonos V with a 20mm lens at that time and the sharks looked like flysh%t in my pics, if you'll pardon the expression, so I think I'll probably need to zoom almost all the way to 55mm and, of course, rely on ambient light. If I thought I'd be able to get as close as 4-5 feet, I would of course use my Tokina 10-17mm.

John:
While not the specific lens you mention, I do use a 16-85mm lens w/a +4 diopter, behind Ike's 8" port. It works quite well for a wide range of shots - not as good as the Tokina 10-17 for wide, nor as good as a 60 or 105 macro for close shots. However, it is a great lens for those inbetween dives where you are not sure which lens would be best. The main issue I have is focus lock. I am using it with a D90 body and have problems in low light situations. Close shots are not an issue w/a modeling light, but distance shots can be an issue.

Frank

Thanks Frank! That's about what I was expecting/hoping to hear.

I've used the lens. I thought the sharpness was better with a +2 diopter, than without one. You can read about my experience here. It's a good lens to try to some creative shooting - panning, zooming, etc. Good luck! - scott

Although the 17-55mm lens is not my primary u/w lens I do get good results with it. Using a Nexus D300 with custom 12-24 port, which is 190mm diameter, & 60mm extension ring. (This ext ring may be different on other make housings.) +4 diopter for close/mid range subjects, but it will not focus on infinity at/near the 55mm zoom setting. However a +3 diopter solves that problem. Which diopter depends on what I expect to shoot on a dive.

Cylinderros Scubaboard.jpg
I've used the lens. I thought the sharpness was better with a +2 diopter, than without one. You can read about my experience here. It's a good lens to try to some creative shooting - panning, zooming, etc. Good luck! - scott

Thanks Scott! I've read your review. Very interesting! I've now tested this lens/dioptre/port combination here in our murky Swedish waters and was pleasantly surprised. I use a +4 diopter because that's what Ikelite recommend with their #55053.5 dome port. The attached shot of a fireworks anenome was taken with this set-up. Unfortunately, it had rained heavily for several days before the dive and as a major river and several small streams run into the fiord, there was a lot of suspended silt a foot or two above the bottom. The shot does give an idea of the lens's performance, though.

Back
Top Bottom