diving without buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Talking to friends last night who sail 2-3 weeks a years in the BVI & Bahamas, mostly as a couple. I know he dives (20-25 dives experience), but he mentioned he often dives solo on these trips to 30' max. Sometimes for boat repairs/recon (stuck anchor, fouled prop, etc...) & sometimes for recreation.

I am new at SCUBA and have the buddy system hammered in me.

Just curious of some experienced divers thoughts.

Nothing wrong with solo diving if you are comfortable with it and know what you are doing. In some ways, it is more enjoyable than buddy diving. Just evaluate the risks and take appropriate risk reduction measures.

I've only done a few solo dives, mostly task specific. Limited depth to 30 feet and ended dive when task was done. There are some folks who like to solo dive and I believe there is some confidence building that occurs when you are clear minded, focused, plan your dive activity and execute. At 30 feet I could cut my harness, ditch the gear and swim to the surface if necessary. But having a buddy around to cut an entanglement or share a little air is always a great idea.

Solo diving sounds great and some agencies do offer training for this type of diving. You need to understand the risks!!!!!! The problem I have with solo is that if you need help you are screwed. Solo divers will tell you how great it is and they are most likely right, but it's not worth the risk!! IMHO solo diving should not even be considered before you have completed at least 300 dives and deep dive training. It all sounds simple but you need to really understand all the aspects of diving and how your body works.

Solo diving is only enjoyable if you don't need help. Are you prepared to take those risks?????

Dive safe and responsible.

Anyone can solo dive and have a great time... until something goes wrong. If you don't have the training, experience, equipment and composure to resolve that problem, then solo diving is likely to become the dumbest decision you ever made.

The buddy system is hammered into novice divers for a good reason - namely because the training you receive relies upon that system in order to mitigate most reasonable risks. The system acknowledges that it doesn't provide you with the necessary foundations for unsupported diving. It makes sense for the diver concerned to also acknowledge the limitations of their training and act with reasonable prudence and conservatism in line with the limitations of that training.

Get the right training... and sufficient experience to have proven that you can utilise that training properly and reliably...and it's something you can consider.

Lots of good advice in the threads above.

Agree that you may want to get a few more dives under your belt - so you can experience a few things that go wrong - before you jump into soloing. However, everybody should, IMO, approach every dive as if it were a solo dive - even with a buddy. That's really what a lot of tech and cave + all solo divers do.

Plan your dive (and stick to your plan), think about what you would do if you lost a fin, lost a mask, etc., and start putting your "head" & gear together to take care of those situations. Before long you'll be a better diver, have the right gear & attitude to be self-sufficient, and find solo diving pretty easy and fun, when you're ready.

Take a look at the solo forum, as was suggested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom