Heavy legs affect trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohecht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I dive in warm waters without a wetsuit. I wear a swimsuit and a lycra shirt.
I use a Halcyon Infinity with an AL80 tank and Apollo BIO-FIN PRO XT fins. Since these are warm waters I don't have any additional weights and only use the SS back plate.

While I dive I notice that although I have no weights on my waist my legs are heavy and I can't maintain a horizontal trim, even though I use a BP/W I get vertical if I don't use the fins.
I would like to have some advice on how to avoid this, is the only way to fix this is by changing my fins to a positively buoyant fins or are there any other options cause I like my apollos and don't want to change them.

Thanks a lot,
Oren.

Is your position like this:

2546420-diver-silhouette-vector.jpg

Or like this?

trim3.jpg

Leg positioning has a lever effect on your centre-of-gravity... and can pull your torso down.

At first they were at position A, and most of my dives I was doing like so.

After reading a bit about DIR and seeing a few videos I tried position B but still I was not able to maintain horizontal trim. I tried using the frog kick but when I tried bending my knees It was much harder maintaining a horizontal trim and I would get vertical much faster. I also tried stretching my arms forward as I have a wrist mounted computer & compass and I already dive with my arms in front of me but that didn't help either.

I have considered using milk jugs and caveline attached to my ankles.

I've real issues myself. Bending the knees as in Andy's post will help.

Sorry to say, ditch the Apollos and get a less negative fin. That helps a lot.

I don't wanna ditch my Apollos, I really like them.
I will give position B a second chance and do it more slowly and notice the exact position shift I have after each movement which I didn't do last time.

Just out of curiosity, which fins are less negative? I know the jets and the F1 are negative, what other options are there?

I have considered using milk jugs and caveline attached to my ankles.
That's cute, and actually not too far off a possible aid for floating the feet a little more. Before getting rid of your very heavy fins, try wearing them with really thick neoprene booties. Those may make your feet just enough more buoyant to help keep you in trim. Otherwise, you'll just have to get lighter fins. What is it that you like about the Bio fins? I find fins that sink my feet really annoying, and I can't imagine liking any piece of gear that forces me into a constant battle to overcome issues it introduces.

BTW, where is your tank? Can you reach the valve, or is it too low?

I don't wanna ditch my Apollos, I really like them.
I will give position B a second chance and do it more slowly and notice the exact position shift I have after each movement which I didn't do last time.

Just out of curiosity, which fins are less negative? I know the jets and the F1 are negative, what other options are there?
Dive-rite fins are the lightest Ive found.EXP Spring Heel Fins by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom