Dive sites at KAUAI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razor

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

It looks like I will be diving with Fatham Five in KAUAI and was wondering if anybody can recommend a good dive site on the southern end of the island and also if anybody knows of any good shore dive locations.

Fatham five says they will take us any where we want as long as it is safe. I have no idea of a good site and was hoping I could get some input from the board.

Thoughts?

This doesn't answer your question...
but sounded really good.

MI2diver once bubbled...
I just returned from some great diving off of Kauai. Kauai is home to many endangered Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles and we got to see many. We also did a 3 tank dive with Bubbles Below off of Kauai and the island of Ni'ihau. The group at Bubbles Below are very knowledgeable. Ni'ihau is an island 17 miles off of Kauai and is home to 150 traditional Hawaiians. They do not allow visitors to their island but Bubbles Below does dive out there. Ni'ihau is the only place you can dive with the Hawaiian Monk Seals. They are the most endangered marine animal in the country, are about 7ft tall and approx 400-600 lbs. They were amazing and it was well worth the trip. I highly recommend this dive.
from a recent thread...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t37572/s.html

I just returned from a week in Kauai. Also dove w/Bubbles Below, and can't say enough good things about them. First rate, IMO. We dove at Amber's Arches and Hale A Honu. Both were good, but Hale was GREAT. Saw lots of nudibranchs, eel, white tip reef shark, and best of all, Green Sea Turtles. They were as interested in us as we were of them.

When we got on board, Linda asked us what we hoped to see. Based on our answers, she chose the dive sites in our case. I would hope Fathom 5 could do the same for you, based on what you'd like to see.

As for the Hawaiian monk seals, we had one visit before we left Port Allen!

Ni'ihau is not an option at this time of year. From Oct thru Mar, I believe, the ride is just too rough. As it was, we were in 6 ft swells off the south shore in Oct, at Amber's Arches. The safety stop nearly made me puke!

I'm not a highly experienced diver, so Ni'ihau is off limits to me at this time (but not in a year or two!), but I felt the dives we did were wonderful.

Have a great trip - and don't miss Waimea Canyon. Also, think about where you are staying in relation to where you want to dive. Port Allen is almost 2 hours from the North Shore (PRinceville, Haena, Hanalei). This error severly curtailed my travel. PM if you have any other questions,

nocalparrothead once bubbled...
don't miss Waimea Canyon. Also, think about where you are staying in relation to where you want to dive. Port Allen is almost 2 hours from the North Shore (PRinceville, Haena, Hanalei). This error severly curtailed my travel.

ah, but the North shore is a much more laid back and nice place to stay! We did 10 days in Kauai - 6 up north and 4 down south. I just loved Hanalei!!! Definitely do WAimea and hike the Napali Coast.

If you are looking for shore dives, we did a shore dive at Koloa Landing on the South Shore. It's right by the Sheraton. I'd recommed a boat dive though. We didn't see much on the shore dive (one green sea turtle was the highlight). I also recommend Ambers Arches and Hale o Honu which leaves from Port Allen We saw tons of turtles there!

I just returned from Kauai'i today. Dived with Bubbles Below for a total of 6 dives, but got to know George, the Kahuna of Fathom Five. Dived all the above, including a night dive in the middle of stomy seas on Hale o Honu. Temps 73-75, bring your seasickness meds! They have some storms coming in from the south. I would trust George to dive with. He helped me when my wings blew out on a shore dive. Fathom Five fixes all the equiptment in the south end. Thier boats all little smaller, but look very seaworthy. email me with specific questions if you have any. All the post here have been accurate. BTW, George will let you ship your gear and store it for you so you don't have to take it through security. What a hassle airports are becoming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom