spent some time in my pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwcfbd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
and shot some video while I worked on my skills.
I removed and replaced my BC a few times, my mask and worked on my buoyancy control.
The last time I removed and replaced my BC was in the ocean. This could have been really bad. I had taken a job diving for sea urchins and was alone at the time. The other diver went in his own direction and was nowhere around. I was in 40-50 ft when all of a sudden my reg. was almost yanked out of my mouth when my tank slipped out of my BC. I dropped to the bottom, removed my gear, reset my tank and put my gear on. I then headed to the surface.

Last edited:
One time I let the boat people set up my BCD/tank. It fell out of the strap when I hit the water. I went to the bottom, 30 feet, and waited till the next diver came down and we repositioned everything That was the last and only time that I let this happen. I have full dentures and the hard yank of the tank really put a lot of strain on my gums. Luckily I was able to clamp down on the mouthpiece and not get cut up.

Story on tanks slipping out and the reason I took the stress/rescue course.

We were diving at a dive site named Oil Slick on Bonaire.
My buddy and I were waiting on another group to exit - the exit is up a flight of stairs to a platform. The group in front of us was acting like a real bunch of dumb asses and I keep thinking - what the hell is up with this - exit already.

Well what had happened is that - the group had started up the ladder - the first persons tank had slipped out and struck the person underneath him - One diver was knocked silly by the tank and was under water - the second diver was also underwater with a loose tank and the related issues.

Herman from this board was also diving the site - when he arrived at the exit point he knew immediately these divers were not "dumb asses" they were in trouble and he handled the situation.

Moral of the story - I took Stress and Rescue immediately after that trip and now look at diving situations in a very different light!

You had me at "my pool." I live a long way from Georgia, but if I am ever there, I am sure we would become great friends and you'd invite me over to hang out by and in your pool all the time. I'd be happy to be your private tutor and regular dive buddy, at no charge! It is the unexpected events that challenge us when diving, and I wish everyone would practice those skills most new divers will think they will never need. Like remove and replace, as a perfect example. Email me at dennis@scubasnobs.com with your address and I'll send you a free copy of our book-"The Scuba Snob's Guide to Diving Etiquette" just to prove I'm serious about the friend thing.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
You had me at "my pool." I live a long way from Georgia, but if I am ever there, I am sure we would become great friends and you'd invite me over to hang out by and in your pool all the time. I'd be happy to be your private tutor and regular dive buddy, at no charge! It is the unexpected events that challenge us when diving, and I wish everyone would practice those skills most new divers will think they will never need. Like remove and replace, as a perfect example. Email me at dennis@scubasnobs.com with your address and I'll send you a free copy of our book-"The Scuba Snob's Guide to Diving Etiquette" just to prove I'm serious about the friend thing.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks a lot Dennis I really appreciate it.
It's just been a long time since I tried the basic stuff wanted to see if I still had it. The last time I had to remove my BC I was using a weight belt and now I use integrated weights and wanted to see how it would go. The hardest thing was removing my mask and not getting a nose full of water. That is something I need to work on.

It sucks when things go bad for us and the smallest of problems can turn out to be major. It doesn't hurt to spend some time in the pool every once and a while to run through some old training.

Thanks again Dennis. I got the book today but havn't had a chance to read it yet but look forward to it.
Thank you :cheers:

Well I just finished Dennis's book The Scuba Snob's Guide to Diving Etiquette and found it to be a pretty good read. He makes some good points on do's and don'ts when diving in a light hearted way but at the same time makes you think "Have I done that?"

Thanks again Dennis I really enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom