Mask and forehead skin irritation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowmask

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I can't find a thread referring to this, please point me to it if one exists...

Does anyone else find that they get irritated skin on their foreheads after diving, and / or spots or a rash? If so, any tips for dealing with it? I've wondered if putting vaseline on my forehead before I dive would help protect the skin, or would I just end up with a flooded mask? Your advice appreciated...

I used to get an irritation under the mask skirt when diving salt water mostly towards my temples. So now I give it a quick wash with some soap and water and rinse well before the first dive. I also rinse my face with fresh water immediately after a dive and this helps also. This is basically no more than a couple of splashes from a water bottle.

I think the issue is the dried salt on repetitive dives which irritates the skin. The problem has not re-occurred by doing the above. If this happens diving fresh water then maybe it's residual cosmetics, soap, or other product.

It's possible that you have a reaction to silicone (assuming that is the material in the mask skirt - it's most common) but then I would expect the irritation to be all the way around where the mask touches you, not just forehead.

I don't think vaseline would cause flooding. I have used silicone or wax to keep a mustache from leaking water into my mask. Things of this type are used to minimize flooding. If used, a think coat would be advisable.

You might be allergic to silicone, I've met more than a few divers who are and just "suffer" through it. I do not, however, think that vaseline would help. Perhaps look into some masks that are not 100% silicone, or just a lower percentage than your current mask?

You may have an allergy to the materials in the skirt. My first mask (decades ago) was latex rubber and I broke out in hugely itchy red rash during my OW class. I ended up buying a silicone mask before my next session. At the time they were more expense, I was a poor college kid, and this was a major decision for me. I kept that mask for a20 yrs until I lost it during rescue class exercises. After that episode, I also had allergic reactions to medical latex gloves and latex bandages so my allergy was confirmed. Mask skirts are no longer made of rubber, all now use silicone - clear or black.

Vaseline will eventually contribute to the degradation of the silicone skirt in your mask. Mustache wearers are advised to use silicon grease for their upper lip rather than petroleum jelly.

Start by making sure the mask fits well with a solid seal holding it in place rather than the strap. The strap only keeps it from slipping around. If strap is too tight, it can lead to rash-like marks on the face, even broken surface capillaries.

On that silicone grease -- make sure it is the non-toxic food grade silicone grease.

Everyone has given great advice so far.
On the mask being too tight issue:

Loosen your strap till it's just the right circumference to fit smoothly over your head. Then tighten each side of the strap 1-2 notches. That's usually enough for me. If it leaks then tighten a bit more.

All very helpful. I think I'm probably not allergic as I'd expect a reaction all the way round the mask skirt, not just in one place.

Will try giving the mask a good clean and rinsing my face before and after, we'll see if this helps!

Is it windy? Or are you on a boat at all?

Because I have thought before I was having a reaction, but really my face was just windburnt and the mask was just rubbing on already irritated skin. You could try and stay out of sun and wind to see if that helps at all

Back
Top Bottom