Beach DPV Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am amazed to learn that most dives in SE FL are well within a mile of the beach. Is it common for divers to DPV from shore to sites that are accessed by the commercial charters?

My attitude is, don't go out any further than you want to tow a flooded scooter back.

Dennis, can I "like" that twice? :rofl3:

FishDiver, kayak diving is where it's at. Want to check out those reefs that are realllllllly far to swim to? Just paddle out.

There's a local kayak/dive club, Kayuba, check them out. I was a member until I left the mainland. Nice peeps. BONUS: a sweet kayak costs less than a sweet DPV.

My honey wants to buy DPVs for us (beach diving down here is teh awesome) and he thinks it would be cool to take them out to the wall in our kayaks. If you have a thick wallet, you might try that in SoFla. :thumb:

Oops, my bad, I didn't answer your question. No, it is NOT common for SoFla divers to use a DPV to get to far reefs.

Fishdiver, I can tell a mile is dang far to go on a scooter dive. At least in our cold water environment. There is a reason private boats are popular in Florida.

Well then, back to boats and kayaks! I clearly don't know jack about DPVs. I looked at the situation and was thinking out of the box. Thanks to all for kindly telling me it was a bad idea.

Peter, I guess I won't be borrowing you scooter and taking it to Florida.

OK Fishdiver it appears that you have made the smooth move away from DPV dependancy.
Good call.
I have been on several very very long dives with DPV equipped buddies and have seen the mechanics flood, die, give up the ghost, whatever.
I routinely shore dive 3/4's of a mile offshore using fins alone, and rarely wish I had a scooter.
I also have yaks.
Yaks are great on the right day, and get an early start.

Chug
Thinks deco from a yak is way cool, on the right day.

Peter, I guess I won't be borrowing you scooter and taking it to Florida.
If you can fit my boat into your suitcase you can borrow it :wink:

When are you going to come and dive California again?

I totally forgot before to mention the night dive from hell where the DPV that a friend lent me ran out of juice before we even got out to the reef. What a PITA to have to drag it around for the next two hours. At some point my awesome BF figured out a way to tie it to our flag float which made it a wee bit easier, but it was still a PITA.

Yak divin', that's teh awesome!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom