Tank moving around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting into sm and have been fooling around with a halcyon eclipse bpw. I have got the taco thing fixed, and am now struggling with the rear of the tank. Currently I have a cam strap with a d ring on my tank. I have a snap hook to which I connect the bottom end of the tank. What I find is that I am having a hard time keeping the lower end of the tank at my side. Especially on the tail end of the dive.

Granted I am not using a commercial sm harness but what keeps the tank in position on those harnesses? From all the reading I have done I see a single snap hook clipped to a rail or D ring on the rear of the harness which is not a whole lot different than what I have. Any comments?

Stano

How much are you breathing your cylinders down? What brand cylinders are you using? Almost all cylinders will eventually get bottom light below a certain pressure. Your options are to not breathe the cylinders down that low, add a trim weight to the cylinders, or reclip the cylinders to a d-ring located on the front of your waist strap (this last one will only minimally fix it).

not enough info to help you, could be cam band position, bungees, bad tank choice for your body, tanks getting butt floaty when empty etc. you would be better off getting a local sidemount diver to diagnose it for you or short of that post some pictures/video.

Well not to beat a dead horse but If my tanks were + near the end of the dive I would simply add a weight or 2 to the camstraps on the tanks.

As stated tank choice has a lot to do with the problem your having. I use 2 Worthington steel HP100's so even bone dry there -2lb in water.

An in water pic would be great

I did my original SM class in Mexico, where Al80s are all there are. They definitely get floaty and need to be reclipped further forward on the waist when they do. My issue is that I'm fairly thin and have a limited area where I can position the secondary D-rings.

Reactions: Jax
I am getting down to 800psig at the end of the dive. Tank is an aluminum 80. I am diving a single right now as I work out hose routing and the feel of the system. I will post some pics soon.

That's the issue. To keep the AL80 from getting floaty attach a 4lb trim weight around the lower 1/3 of the cylinder. This will make it negative when it's empty. You could move the clip to the front, but it will still be a little bottom up.

Always good to have a sidemount instructor chime in for some good advice.

Back
Top Bottom