Info needed on sewage outflow pipes in South Florida (and other pollution sites)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tienuts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm trying to get video footage of ocean pollution for an upcoming project.

Does anyone have any current info on the sewage outflow pipes in South Florida? I understand while some are inactive, others are still pumping waste, and I'd like to get some video of them. I hear the Delray one has been shut down, but one in Fort Lauderdale is still active. I have no idea where it is though.

I was also going to film 'tire reef,' but if anyone knows any other sites which visually scream 'pollution' in the south florida waters, please let me know. If you have GPS numbers, even better.

Email is the best way to directly reach me - landtony@mac.com.

There's already a lot of video footage of all the southern Florida sewage outfalls on youtube. The one off Boca is easy to find - exit the channel, angle WNW, and at the 90' mark, you'll see the surface boil from the discharge. If they close this down, I'll have to cross the border and go into Broward county to :mooner:.

There's already a lot of video footage of all the southern Florida sewage outfalls on youtube. The one off Boca is easy to find - exit the channel, angle WNW, and at the 90' mark, you'll see the surface boil from the discharge. If they close this down, I'll have to cross the border and go into Broward county to :mooner:.

How do inland cities handle their waste? Can't we pretend that we are in Denver? :idk:

This is supposed to be for broadcast tv so i need something better quality than whats on youtube.

Thanks, I'll give the boca one a shot. I was told it was shut down.

You don't happen to have numbers do you? My captain wants more than WNW at 90'. And don't you mean ENE? WNW puts me on the beach from Boca Inlet.

Thanks

Ah shoot... that's ENE. I always get those two mixed up. I'm still getting used to the Atlantic Ocean and always having to go east to go anywhere. Too many years of going west out of Pearl and then Waianae harbors.
From my GPS, the numbers for the outfall are:
26-21.020N
80-03.320W
You'll see the boil though.

How do inland cities handle their waste? Can't we pretend that we are in Denver? :idk:

Treatment systems can (and do) discharge a treated effluent to a local water body. It is rare that the discharge is "dirtier" than the receiving waters in times of normal operation. in the event of a heavy inundation to the plant (like a significant rain event), flows can exceed the design capacity of the plant, and depending on the design, a direct bypass can be the procedure. There is usually a chlorine contact tank involved to kill micro-organisms, though a portion of the waste stream will not be treated as completely as under normal operations. There are standards (levels of treatment) that must still be met (tested, recorded, and reported). Keep in mind, the inundation is also diluting the waste stream as the percentage of water to waste is greatly increased.

Is it perfect? No.

If you want better, accept the millions of dollars necessary to upgrade or increase the capacity of the treatment works in your tax bills. Alternately, stop all growth, and individually, pony up more of the share of costs as it is not then as well dispersed across the numbers in the community. Don't vote down any bond resolutions to upgrade or replace old infrastructure. It also isn't as simple as building more/bigger plants. Regulations get in the way that mandate reducing or eliminating inflow/infiltration rather than increasing treatment capacity..... and this is extremely costly, and marginally successful.

Lastly, make sure your footage is backed by facts, not your opinions of what you perceive. get a professional (Civil Engineer, knowledgeable in the Wastewater field) to go over it with you.

Lastly, make sure your footage is backed by facts, not your opinions of what you perceive. get a professional (Civil Engineer, knowledgeable in the Wastewater field) to go over it with you.

That's what the producers are for. I wa just hired to get the shots. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom