Trim Weights for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Getting into SM, and looking for positive experience/success with trim weights... type? configuration?

Additionally, has anyone tried this Nomad accessory at all, and/or additionally on an SMS100?:

Nomad Trim Weight.jpg

Additionally, has anyone tried this Nomad accessory at all, and/or additionally on an SMS100?:

i have that on my Nomad XT, and love it. it's nice keeping the weight off my waist and not cluttering up the front of the harness.

i have that on my Nomad XT, and love it. it's nice keeping the weight off my waist and not cluttering up the front of the harness.
That's what I was looking for... thanks!

Have that on my Nomad XT. It does work nice. However I have found for cave trim, I still have to put a 2lb'er on each of my shoulder straps. For open water though, I just fill up the backplate.

I use 2lb trim weights on my shoulders. They work well to offset the lower position of the cylinders and keep me horizontal without having to try to be horizontal. They also push the top d-ring out about an inch which makes them much easier to clip on to and off from. I have also placed trim weights on students behind their shoulders and that also works well, especially if they need more than 2-3lbs of trim weight on each side. This isn't common, but it does occur.

I've had students that have used the weight plate with pretty good success. Unfortunately, it's not designed with the pockets high enough to work as trim weights, but it does work well for divers who need more weight than the ballast of the cylinders provide. The holes on the weight plate work with the SMS100, but the width of the plate is slightly larger than the inner width of the SMS100 wing.

Thanks all, great feedback.

Rob, you're right about the width. Just measured the backplate, which is 6-1/2" at its narrowest. Even inflated the wing remains remarkably flat, however, the trim pack would cover the d-rings.

The shoulder weights sound like the way to go... I like the idea of mounting them so they push out the top d-ring... two birds with one stone...

Getting into SM, and looking for positive experience/success with trim weights... type? configuration?

View attachment 100115
Yup ... love the convenience, and it puts the weight right where you need it.

Little tip ... if you're planning on using 4 or 5 pounders, get hard weights ... the pockets are marginally large enough to accommodate the larger soft weights.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a nomad, took out the padding and I need no weight with a 3 mil (200lbs 5'9"). I do put 2lb on al80's to keep the butts horizontal (possible snag issue) and with HP100 I use no weight. On a drysuit or fat neoprene with HP100's still no weight...gotta love it.

I tie wrap my clips to the valve necks to which keeps them clipped within 2" of my pits on the ring bungy's and find my trim is perfect and my valves are always in the same spot.. it actually takes effort to knock my trim from anything but horizontal.

Just load on a bunch of reels and some heavy lights... forget the lead.

I love my nomad, but if I needed weight I'd probably just tie wrap X4 it with the handcuff type wraps you can get from home-depot to the back strapping and not use any pocket attachment which would be bulletrpoof

i use cam band pouches on my waist strap right now. they were on my upper back/shoulders, but that became the wrong place for them. i was headstand queen for a while until i moved them! can do without them unless my tanks get real light... :( ...so i put them back but in a different place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom