Just Completed Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
And thought I'd give you my take on it.

Overall, I found it a very worthwhile course. It is physically demanding (well, it was for me!) and has a lot of task loading, particularly the last couple of exercises of the 12. Those were the ones I enjoyed most which were putting together the different bits of what had been learned. I was concerned out getting an unconscious diver out of the water just because of the physicality of it but I managed. Not sure my technique was the best but that hardly matters - it's getting the victim on to dry land.

I had read the manual and done the knowledge reviews prior to the course so going through the academics and the videos was easier than coming to it cold. I would recommend this approach to give you a head start in visualising what it's about.

There isn't a lot of diving in the course - the only real bits are the two exercises on underwater search. But you spend a lot of time in the water towing and retrieving. It is really good to know that at the end of the course I could bring an unconscious diver up from the sea bed, give them rescue breaths while towing them to shore, while removing their and my equipment, and get them onto the shore then give them CPR (if required). Also the emphasis on prevention and stopping small problems before they become big problems is good to always have in mind.

I also did the O2 speciality and again feel that in an emergency situation I would have a lot more confidence to assist than I had before. It's not difficult or complicated but knowing how to administer oxygen could save a life.

So all in all I would recommend it to anyone thinking about doing it. Of course, the only thing is now that I have done it, I want everyone I dive with to have done it, too! Also, I hope that I never ever have to put what I've learned into practice - but in the event of an emergency, at least I will be able to assist as best I can.

I also did a rescue course and agree that it was well worth the time and effort.

Having well thought out and practiced methods for assisting a troubled diver is a good thing.

I hope to never have to use the techniques, but I'm glad I took the course.

first class is this wednesday and last dive is Sunday. I am looking forward to my week ahead... :D

Congrats on doing the course! I did Rescue earlier this summer, and like scubasean I hoped to never have to use the techniques. Literally the next time I went diving, not a week later, I was closest to a panicked diver on the surface... Everything went textbook-fine, and I was never so thankful to have taken the course! So you never know when those skills will come in handy. Mwilding, hope you have fun with it (and it *is* fun!).

I strongly recommend to any diver who dives more than once in a blue moon should become a rescue diver.

The reason for this is not just because you may save your buddy or another diver from having a bad day, but because you gain a lot of confidence from the course that you become a better diver and more comfortable with yourself, you enjoy the diving more and if an incident happens, you can really stop breath think act.

I had a trigger attack not so long ago and give credit to doing the rescue skills that saved me from being in the shti.

If you are out there to dive for fun and not a career and become a rescue diver and leave it there.

I took my Naui rescue course directly after my OW. I wish it was required, it would be nice to know everyone I dive with has been through the experience.

It was funny, several guys in the class wondering how it would be in the actual event of a crisis, more adrenaline etc. Not me, I was there. A 195lb man on my back, it was get out of the water or drown trying. Whew....very challenging.

I think it is good look at the future classes to come if you plan to pursue diving professionally (which I do). At least I will know to excerise more before my Dive Master course :).

Dive safe, dive often.

Congratulation
I start my rescue diving class tomorrow. Class room work this Tuesday and Thursday followed by the open water sessions on Saturday and Sunday.

I just completed my stress and rescue class yesterday. It is tougher than most other courses but well worth the effort. I gained confidence in my own diving skills and learned some great rescue skills. One thing it really taught me is the importance of checking out the equipment of the others in your dive group. During an emergency you need to be aware of how their weights, BC and other equipment works. Trying to figure out equipment during a rescue is too late.

If you haven't taken the course, do so, you won't be sorry.

Mark

Good point about being familiar with your buddy's (and other divers') equipment. Puts a different slant on the buddy check when you're checking not just that things are in order but in case you have to remove them! I had done a buddy check with my instructor then he asked me to shut my eyes and describe his BCD and what kind of weight system he had and how to release it etc. First time round, of course, I didn't get all the details because I wasn't thinking that way. By the time the course finished and I was doing the last exercises, I knew all the releases on my "victim" and had checked them out properly during the buddy check. A good lesson.

In a couple of months I'll be following your steps.

Back
Top Bottom