Buoyancy class related question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Started PPB class tonight. I am doing one dive in pool and one in lake/quarry. Tonight was pool session.

Feel pretty good in that in just one session I was able to shed 4 pounds from starting point. But I had some problems with cramps in my one calf. Not sure if it was because I was trying to maintain certain position and tensing those muscles without really realizing it. Is this somethfing that anyone else has experienced? If so or otherwise, suggestions for dealing with it?

I had experienced cramps in my calves/ toes while doing pool training for my OW cert, needless to say, in OW there were no cramps.

It could be due to two things:

Disuse atrophy of those small muscles while not diving, so when you finally get back in the water (or pool in my case), you get cramps because you're overworking those muscles.
OR
In confined water you are dealing with smaller areas and are contorting your body/fins in weird positions

Disuse atrophy is basically muscles weakening because you don't use them

I'm thinking maybe a combo of both?

PPB class: Trim and the other stuff is important, but proper weighting is #1.
Cramps: take potassium pills (I hate Bananas).

The likelihood of it being a potassium problem is pretty small. Exercising would be a good option. Perhaps renting a softer kicking fin will help in the short term.

I would recommend 'warming up' (not working out) before the class. Drink lots of water and stretch beforehand...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Given that I had a two month surface interval, it certainly possible the legs weren't quite ready for the extended time we spent in the pool. I'm planning on making sure I stretch before attempt the lake dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom