backplate and harness fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So how exactly should this fit me. For example where on my back should the backplate lay and where should the buckle on the waist of my harness be. When i put it on its like covering the bottom half of my belly button. Also how tight should the shoulder straps be? Because if i make them extremely tight then the backplate will go too high on my back.

Here you go.

http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php

This webpage was very helpful when I set up my backplates. Note: You'll want your shoulder straps WAY looser than you're used to. Because the backplate is rigid, you don't need tension across your BC's back to keep the tank from flopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep the shoulder straps fairly loose, then use the crotch strap in a slight V to pull the rig tight to my body. A little more than what the BAUE website shows. My Fundies instructors didn't say anything regarding my crotch strap adjustment.

Most new BP&W divers fit the harness far too tight - probably a relic instinct from having dived with jacket BCDs.

When fitted, you should easily be able to fit a clenched fist under the shoulder straps. The crotch strap fits more tightly.

Lots of good feedback. One thing I would like to add is that you carry the rig on your hips, not your shoulders. Divers have a tendency to tightly "strap" themselves into a BP/W. If you carry the weight of the rig on your hips you are fine. This is how you should also use a jacket style BCD.

I carry my stuff flat, on my back

When inverted it's carried on my

Ball's

:rofl3:

It needs to fit so you can grab your valves. Some people need the BP a little looser to assist on shifting the tanks up so they can access the valves. I have found the crotch strap stabilizes the BP, even if you have shoulder straps a little loose. I also found the fitting was not terribly evident until I had the tanks on and went into a pool or shallow water to test the fit. My valve drills dictated BP webbing adjustments. Then my wing tuning followed (trim weights were considered as a last resort).

I dove my wing for the first time a couple w/e ago. First I will never go back to a jacket BC. I used this thread to help fit my harness. I found that as I tightened the waist the shoulder straps tightened up. I have those strap protectors move so I knew the straps were shifting. With that said I felt it was loose on my body, I could shift the tank and wing while diving but it wasn't bad. I'm playing with buying some side releases for the shoulder straps so I can pull those tight if I want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom