Opinions on BEST Basic Computer (new diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I know this has been talked about in some form and variety many times over, but there are some new things out that I don't know about so I'd like to discuss it again please.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive (note I didn't say CHEAP lol) dive computer for my wife. I use an AI OC1 with backup SPG for redundancy but she doesn't need that. She is a basic rec diver and needs minimal functionality.

Looking for something with air/nitrox, backlight, audible alarms, bottom timer, downloadable (maybe), etc

Thanks

I have a Mares Puck. Simple, cheap, straightforward. Downloadable if you buy the software, but I don't use that feature. It has all the other things you asked for.

The Suunto Gekko (now Zoop) seems to be a common choice for an entry level computer. Easy to use and conservative.

The Suunto Gekko (now Zoop) seems to be a common choice for an entry level computer. Easy to use and conservative.

Suunto Zoop is a good choice, but you need to go up to the Vyper for a backlight. You may want to look at a third party software for downloads

Buy the computer for the sort of diving that you think you'll eventually want to do. All good computers are "backward compatible" with basic run of the mill diving. If you think you're going to want to get into nitrox, buy that computer. If you have an inkling that you'll be doing decompression or diving on trimix, buy that computer. I didn't take any of this advice when it was given to me and rather than just spending the money up front I ended up buying three computers on my way to the ultimate solution and spend 3x what I could have if I had planned ahead just a bit.

Thing is I did all that when I got mine, well when I got my 2nd computer :wink: , and I am trying go do that now for HER with her 1st. Problem with the Suunto is that I don't use one any longer. Had one and used it very little. FANTASTIC computer and all (D4) but too conservative (for me), compared to those using the DSAT algorithm.

I doubt she will be getting into other things other than rec stuff so simple is ok.

USvet96 I went through this exact thought pattern recently. I was lucky enough to get to borrow a few computers from my LDS. I ended up with a Sherwood Wisdom.It is VERY user freindly and being AI its one screen for all your info.

Here a side by side comparison of 4 common computers for entry level recreational divers.

All of them have online class and are available in the simulator (iPad version coming soon)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks for the input everyone. I have tried to get HER lol to do this but hey, I guess that's what I'm for lol.

Anyway the thing of it is this: more than likely, knowing my wife lol, she will only use it a few times then it will end up being MINE. Not really a BAD thing at all, but that means I have to find something that I can use as well haha. At least as a backup.

The Mares Puck is nice, but uses a different algorithm I'm not used to working with. I was looking at the Tusa 750 maybe, a Cressi, or even the DG03 (I could use it for tech :wink:

And thanks for the eDive link Alberto, good stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom