What goes around, comes around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I had an extremely fun dive this afternoon. I went diving with one of the two instructors from my original OW class, who has remained a good friend, but with whom I don't dive as often as I would like.

What made today special was that this was his first dive in a Hog rig. He's been watching me and Peter for a while, and had borrowed a backplate for a vacation trip, but he'd finally decided to take the plunge for home diving, and after talking to us a while yesterday, had concluded that a long hose setup made sense, as well.

So today he hit the water with his new backplate and wing, a 5' hose, and one of our canister lights. He also had the weight pockets that slide onto the waist belt, and to my shame, I didn't help him very well with getting them set up, and they caused some problems. But overall, he had a good dive, and since Peter and I were shooting pictures, he had plenty of time to play around with his buoyancy and trim, and figure out what worked for him in the new gear.

It was a great pleasure and privilege to help introduce to something new, someone who introduced me to something new - DIVING!

224458_2251063316941_1258998267_2684021_3217551_n.jpg

It was a great pleasure and privilege to help introduce to something new, someone who introduced me to something new - DIVING!

First of all, let me congratulate your post - there is nothing nicer than introducing a good friend to a favourite wine and watching them appreciate it.

TSandM - I am a huge fan of yours on SB. However, in the context of your OP I find the quote above to be troubling to me. Perhaps I misunderstand you, but is it correct to paraphrase you that your instructor finally discovered DIVING after using a BP&W (for the first time)? Vladimir pointed out in my Do You REALLY Know How to Dive post that I have railed against similar posts in the past.

Congrats on having a friend discover the utility and simplicity of a BP&W! However, I would argue that it is the diver that discovers diving, and not the gear. Certainly the gear can help to a great degree, but I would not want to think that one of my favourite SB posters was denigrating non-BP&W divers...

Funny - right after I submitted my last post (above):

There are currently 38 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 35 guests)

1. Crush
2. vladimir
3. TSandM

:rofl3:

Whoever is in the red dry suit looks like their reg is being pulled out of their mouth.

Happy diving.

Thank you very much for sharing your diving experience. My elder son is learning diving and I will show him your post, he will be very happy. That's the good thing that your good friend taught you something new. And you also learnt something new diving. I hope and wish you will be the best diver in future. Thanks.

TSandM - I am a huge fan of yours on SB. However, in the context of your OP I find the quote above to be troubling to me. Perhaps I misunderstand you, but is it correct to paraphrase you that your instructor finally discovered DIVING after using a BP&W (for the first time)? Vladimir pointed out in my Do You REALLY Know How to Dive post that I have railed against similar posts in the past.

... she means that he introduced her to diving ... and she introduced him to BP&W ...

Lynne, did you introduce him to the X1 as well?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Whoever is in the red dry suit looks like their reg is being pulled out of their mouth.

Happy diving.

To the new convert:

Welcome to the bright side. Now comes the fun part, the fine-tuning.

Looking at the photo, the following items can be improved:

LP hose for wing inflator needs to be shorter and tied to corrugated hose with piece of inner tube
Backup reg hose is too long and does not need strain-relief sleeve
Hose for primary reg is too short (probably due to routing - maybe 7' hose needed)
Boltsnap for primary reg should be SS

Sorry I can't find anything to criticize in your picture since I haven't got a clue about cold water diving or the use of a Hog rig, wing,long hose, drysuit or your mouthpiece. Maybe next time.------Is that water really green or what?

Reactions: Jax
Sorry I can't find anything to criticize in your picture since I haven't got a clue about cold water diving or the use of a Hog rig, wing,long hose, drysuit or your mouthpiece. Maybe next time.------Is that water really green or what?

Yes, the water really is green. Even on days with good vis (30-40 ft), the water is green.

Ron

First of all, let me congratulate your post - there is nothing nicer than introducing a good friend to a favourite wine and watching them appreciate it.

Congrats on having a friend discover the utility and simplicity of a BP&W! However, I would argue that it is the diver that discovers diving, and not the gear. Certainly the gear can help to a great degree, but I would not want to think that one of my favourite SB posters was denigrating non-BP&W divers...

??? Not quite sure how your read the post that way.

... she means that he introduced her to diving ... and she introduced him to BP&W ...

Lynne, did you introduce him to the X1 as well?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe it is just expectations, but that was how I read it too. Never crossed my mind it could be read with THAT particular interpretation.

I had an extremely fun dive this afternoon. I went diving with one of the two instructors from my original OW class, who has remained a good friend, but with whom I don't dive as often as I would like.

What made today special was that this was his first dive in a Hog rig. He's been watching me and Peter for a while, and had borrowed a backplate for a vacation trip, but he'd finally decided to take the plunge for home diving, and after talking to us a while yesterday, had concluded that a long hose setup made sense, as well.

So today he hit the water with his new backplate and wing, a 5' hose, and one of our canister lights. He also had the weight pockets that slide onto the waist belt, and to my shame, I didn't help him very well with getting them set up, and they caused some problems. But overall, he had a good dive, and since Peter and I were shooting pictures, he had plenty of time to play around with his buoyancy and trim, and figure out what worked for him in the new gear.

224458_2251063316941_1258998267_2684021_3217551_n.jpg

Sweet! Great to share your knowledge and new skill sets with someone who is ready and willing to learn something new. I can see it being an your original instructor and friend makes it even more special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom