Cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGCHRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went on x3 cave dives yesterday with rental suit. Water temp 58 degrees and each dive was about 40 min. I know I was having early hypothermia by last dive. Suit had holes and was loose fitting. Every move brought cold water into suit. Then we were hanging out in cave between dives. I couldn't get out of cave fast enough after last dive but was still cold. Had to put heater on in car and it was 80 something on surface. Last night and today I feel like I have the flu. Is this normal or just a coincidence. I felt fine before dives. Maybe it's just flu. I cant say I won't cave dive again but only with my suit. I am a novice at diving but should have known better to get into water for 3rd dive. Just didnt want to miss chance to dive.

Sounds like you may have had moderate to severe hypothermia.

A very bad mix, considering that hypothermia affects your ability to think & reason & the fact that you are most likely untrained in the cave/ overhead environment. I am not trying to bash you in any way,... but rather give you a warning. Going into a cave (or any overhead environment), untrained, is a deceptively easy way to die. Yes,.. it is easy when things go right,... but when things go wrong, it is most often violent & fatal. At 24 dives, there is absolutely no way you can know of all the dangers (at 200+ dives & as a Dive Master a few years ago, I did not know of them until I received training) That is why the training is so important. We train with special gas management plans, redundant air supply, How to handle events such as silt outs, loss of lights, loss of air supply, running, following & monitoring guidelines, entanglements, lost guidelines, lost buddies, situational, team/ buddy awareness & awareness of where we are in the cave system. I did the same foolish thing at vortex springs a few years ago & nearly wound up as a statistic. I learned my lesson,.. almost the last lesson I ever learned. Please! If you want to cave dive, get the proper training & experience. Yes, you may have to wait until you become more experienced, but remember, the caves are not going anywhere. They've been there for millions of years. They will wait for you. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but it hurts the dive community as a whole when we lose one of our own..... Especially, because of something that could have easily been prevented by proper training & experience. The reason I am coming on rather strongly, is because when the untrained diver enters a cave & there is an accident, there is usually a lot of bad publicity (the media loves sensationalism) & a risk that the site may closed off to those of us who are trained. Once again, I implore you to get proper training before you venture into an underwater cave again. No amount of Open Water experience will prepare you to cave dive. It just is not worth the risk.

This was not by myself. I would never be that foolish. I value my life. I was with a trained and experienced dive instrutor and two other experinced divers at this cave. It is a world famous mine....I know I said cave but it is a mine. This was with dive group

Sounds like you may have had moderate to severe hypothermia.

A very bad mix, considering that hypothermia affects your ability to think & reason & the fact that you are most likely untrained in the cave/ overhead environment. I am not trying to bash you in any way,... but rather give you a warning. Going into a cave (or any overhead environment), untrained, is a deceptively easy way to die. Yes,.. it is easy when things go right,... but when things go wrong, it is most often violent & fatal. At 24 dives, there is absolutely no way you can know of all the dangers (at 200+ dives & as a Dive Master a few years ago, I did not know of them until I received training) That is why the training is so important. We train with special gas management plans, redundant air supply, How to handle events such as silt outs, loss of lights, loss of air supply, running, following & monitoring guidelines, entanglements, lost guidelines, lost buddies, situational, team/ buddy awareness & awareness of where we are in the cave system. I did the same foolish thing at vortex springs a few years ago & nearly wound up as a statistic. I learned my lesson,.. almost the last lesson I ever learned. Please! If you want to cave dive, get the proper training & experience. Yes, you may have to wait until you become more experienced, but remember, the caves are not going anywhere. They've been there for millions of years. They will wait for you. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but it hurts the dive community as a whole when we lose one of our own..... Especially, because of something that could have easily been prevented by proper training & experience. The reason I am coming on rather strongly, is because when the untrained diver enters a cave & there is an accident, there is usually a lot of bad publicity (the media loves sensationalism) & a risk that the site may closed off to those of us who are trained. Once again, I implore you to get proper training before you venture into an underwater cave again. No amount of Open Water experience will prepare you to cave dive. It just is not worth the risk.

I agree 110% Read it again.

This was not by myself. I would never be that foolish. I value my life. I was with a trained and experienced dive instrutor and two other experinced divers at this cave. It is a world famous mine....I know I said cave but it is a mine. This was with dive group

Bonne Terre?

OK, you are most likely talking Bonne Terra Mines. These are controlled experiences. Still keep in mind that absolutely no Open Water experience will prepare a diver for overhead. In your case it was a dive that was lead & the establishment has determined that the risk is appropriate (although I & some others may not agree). If you truly have an interest in cave diving please watch these videos on Dive-a-holic's website. It will show you why this training is so important. Diving the Freshwater Springs « Rob Neto .

These are "trust me" dives. Exciting,... yes. Do you trust your life to your dive guide? Just something to think about.

I won't throw out names. Just wish I had been better prepared for it. My diving had been in St Croix and was totally unprepared for mine. If I do it again I will be better prepared. My dive suit sucked...kind of a biggie with water temp that cold. Ultimately it was my fault for getting in a third time. I still feel sick with flu symptoms

The more that I learn, the more I realize how little I know. Remember that.

(good one, Tammy?)

I won't throw out names. Just wish I had been better prepared for it. My diving had been in St Croix and was totally unprepared for mine. If I do it again I will be better prepared. My dive suit sucked...kind of a biggie with water temp that cold. Ultimately it was my fault for getting in a third time. I still feel sick with flu symptoms

Cold water is also nothing to be trifled with, as you have learned. I commonly dive in 42- 45 degree water. Most likely your body is still trying to regulate itself. Not to say the stress couldn't have brought on the flu or even a bit of DCS (as the circulation is not normal when the body gets that cold). You might want to call Diver's Alert Network (DAN) at 1-919-684-9111 immediately & talk to one of their experts. It might be nothing,... but then again,... They will talk to you whether or not you are a member & refer you to a knowledgeable professional in dive medicine if needed.

The more that I learn, the more I realize how little I know. Remember that.

(good one, Tammy?)

All the more reason to keep learning & training. The day I quit learning, will be the day I hang up my fins for the last time,..... for at that point I am a danger to myself & those I am diving with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom