Scuba Activities ? (things to do underwater?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i was interested in knowing what where some of the activities that you can do on scuba that are not as widely know.

for example, most people know you can go sight seeing, spear fishing as well as practice photography and videography on scuba.

However, activities like metal detecting on scuba and hunting for shark teeth aren't thing i personally think are that common to see. i just recently heard of them actually.

so... what other fun things can we do underwater?? :idk:

Last edited:
Geocacheing seems to be catching on as a SCUBA activity. You might look for a local group. I'm not sure what people search for in your area, in Charleston, SC it was megaldon teeth. I know several posters on this board use metal detectors underwater hopefully they'll chime in.

Michael

Sightseeing is my #1 draw and I will try to get something fresh for dinner.

On all dives I carry a game bag and keep alert for anything interesting in the water that someone has lost. I have quite a collection of weights, a couple of fins I am waiting for the mate or someone who needs one, anchors (not attached to a boat), an old encrusted pistol, and so on. Some of it is useable and some goes in the trash. It is also fun to pick up something usefull right after my buddy swims over it, but he is getting better.

Diving is like a box of chocolates...

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Assuming a warm-water-pretty fish environment...

There is so much animal life that most everyone misses. A lot of these divers either get very bored and quit- or go on to other diversions after they have gone down the must-buy-techno-gadget phase.

Learn where and how the critters hide.

In less than inviting environments?

Let the other games begin! Let your imagination run wild. There is a real-deal underwater frisbee... that's a hoot! (Boosts buoyancy skills, too!)

I really want to make a waterproof/slightly negative version of monopoly. I think would be fun to play on a training platform.

I really want to make a waterproof/slightly negative version of monopoly. I think would be fun to play on a training platform.

?? dont now if your serious about that one, but if you are... you can probably just laminate the playing board and the cards. but the money......? could be replaced with something that's not paper.

?? dont now if your serious about that one, but if you are... you can probably just laminate the playing board and the cards. but the money......? could be replaced with something that's not paper.

definitely serious. it would take a lot of work to laminate it all, but it would kill a lot of time on a training platform, and make for some interesting quarry diving. Plus, it's a good way to practice buoyancy...

I want to recommend sightseeing but take it further. My wife (divebuddy) and I have gotten into locating particular fish, lobster , or other animals in the sea and focusing on their behavior for more than just a few seconds. It is VERY interesting, and often captivating. If you slow down and look, you can watch interesting interaction by cleaner fish, territorial "battles," hunting behavior, mating behavior, and sometime the unexpected and indescribable. We will always remember a very large grouper being serviced by a number of cleaner wrasses at Grand Cayman, and if you have the pleasure of watching a turtle feed on a wall or on a bed of turtle grass, or trying to kick off a remora, you do not need anything else to "do." We personally dive into the ocean to be there, be a part of what is going on, and watch what is going on, not to do things we can do at the kitchen table.
Divemaster Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom