Coral Spawning & Snorkeling Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brooklynbelle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are completely new to snorkeling but are going full-on and planning a trip to Bonaire. The week in September we're available to go will be at the height of coral spawning (Sept 17-24). I understand that night snorkeling trips would be quite interesting but what will the spawning do to our snorkeling visibility and water clarity during the day? I'm picturing floating around in a sea surface filled with tiny balls of tapioca all around me. (Sometimes my imaginations turns these into those bubble tea balls but I digress.)

As this will be our first ever tropical vacation and beginning snorkeling sport adventure, what encouragement/warnings/advice/etc do you have about going the week of spawning. We plan to spend every minute in the water somehow.

Thank you!

Alexis

Suggest you re-post this question to the ABC subforum because there are plenty of scuba divers there that could specifically answer your question.
ABC Islands
My guess is that visibility will still be fine. The ABC islands have extremely clear water and I can't imagine that they would ever be "pea soup". Also, I think coral spawning only happens for a night or two and my hunch is that by morning everything would be clear. I've never experience coral spawning first-hand, however.

Looking at youtube I think you may be fine with the visibility.
Skip to 0:42 for a good view.
[video=youtube;f2aHXXfANRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2aHXXfANRY&t=42s[/video]

generally the little spawn is all gone the next day with the currents. I have been doing a lot of research lately as it is on my to do list.
Feel free to check out my blog
Danielle's Dives.

I just did a big writeup earlier today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom