If I were a solo diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I would eliminate as many failure points as practical in my breathing gas supply:

All of my breathing gas would be in a single tank with one first stage, one second stage, one SPG, one lp wing inflation hose and one suit inflation hose (if diving dry.)

I wouldn't split the gas I was carrying up into multiple bottles with mutliple 0-rings, second stages, hoses and spgs to fail. In other words... no ponys, doubles, spare airs.

I would split the gas up through planning and set aside enough gas to make a controlled ascent from what ever depth/time I was at in the event of a failure in any component. This amount of set-aside gas would change during the dive as the depth/time evolved.

Hallmac

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I would eliminate as many failure points as practical in my breathing gas supply:

All of my breathing gas would be in a single tank with one first stage, one second stage, one SPG, one lp wing inflation hose and one suit inflation hose (if diving dry.)

I wouldn't split the gas I was carrying up into multiple bottles with mutliple 0-rings, second stages, hoses and spgs to fail. In other words... no ponys, doubles, spare airs.

I would split the gas up through planning and set aside enough gas to make a controlled ascent from what ever depth/time I was at in the event of a failure in any component. This amount of set-aside gas would change during the dive as the depth/time evolved.

Okay

That would probably work 99% of the time.

probably 99% hmmmmmm

That brings to mind the comedy skit I once saw where some guy laughingly says, "watch this", proceeds to do an amazingly stupid stunt, and kills himself!

"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye (life)." This sage advice from our parents still holds true today.

All that aside, I have to say 'good technique on the pot stirring Uncle Pug'.

What year are you in today!

I first thought you were in 1948 but you mentioned a SPG, so I thought 1962, but you mentioned a drysuit hose, what 1973?

Hallmac

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Nice troll!

but to post something a little on topic as a reply. I use just the setup you mention - except i use a stage slung bailout bottle ( that is shut off so the only true failure point is the tank O ring) with 1 first stage and 1 second, No SPG - when you go to the bailout the LAST thing you need is to watch a gauge drop to zero ( it makes no real difference , when that gas is gone you're screwed anyway.)

And I'm sure you would have to go with a single lens mask and a mono-fin.

After all, a spare tire is really just another tire to fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom